AC Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

evanmace

New User
Evan
A couple of days ago I turned on my AC for the first time this year. It was blowing hot air instead of cold. I let it run for a day thinking it just had to run the kinks out or something. Finally I decided that something was wrong and started taking my unit apart and researching. After a few new parts installed it still didn't work, so I bit the bullet and called a repair man. He looked around, ran some tests, and after about 30 minutes went to the attic....
Turns out last time I was in the attic I dislodged the float switch that detects that your condensation drip pan is about to overflow. All he did was move it about a half an inch.
All I could do was laugh.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Sometimes life deals a good hand. In your case I would say you were lucky.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
You got lucky there.My father was a HVAC contractor for over 40 years and he always had a good story from filters(#1),no filters,breakers tripped,snakes and other varmints in with the electrical contacts,thermostat would be set too low or high or be satisfied and a host of others.
Tony

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I also think you got lucky. I once had a condensate drainline plug and wound up with a couple gallons (!) of water sitting in the main trunk line.

-Mark

Glennbear

Glenn
Very good. That kind of AC problem is a tad easier to deal with then the alternative. :wsmile:

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
When I put the central air in the shop a few years ago, It was a couple of months before we needed heat. When the time came, I could not get the burners to fire. Verified the flame sensor was OK, the electronic igniter was OK, had a full propane tank, valves open - etc. etc. This is a high efficiency unit, so it uses a 2 1/2" PVC pipe for the exhaust. The draft inducer fan would come on, but no light.

The indicator lights and troubleshooting guide told me the draft inducer fan was not running - i.e. the exhaust pressure sensor was keeping the igniter from firing. After about a week of futzing with it, I went up on the roof to look at the exhaust outlet - and low and behold a family of mud daubers had decided to build a nest on the outlet screen :qleft7:. Cleared that out and the unit fired right up.

Now every fall, I go up and make sure they havn't re-built a summer home up there.

Live and learn I guess...

Glad to hear the problem was no more serious than a bad sensor input!

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS