abrasive wood

TBoomz

New User
Ron
I've read some references to wood being "abrasive". But in the context that it is hard on tools. . Am hoping that there are some wood species that are abrasive within the wood [itself] to act as a very fine burnisher....am looking for suggestions...
Have also read that wood ash can be used to polish metal, in that there is a small amount of silica in the burnt ash.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Please define what you want to accomplish by "burnishing"? True burnishing is a deformation of the surface of the material being worked- it's the opposite of abrasion (which removes the surface).

"Polishing" is also an abrasive process.

-Mark

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Ironwood is called that for a reason. VERY abrasive.
For something closer to true burnishing (per mkepke's comment) I use drywall tape. Convenient, cheap, has a good tooth.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Ironwood is called that for a reason. VERY abrasive.
For something closer to true burnishing (per mkepke's comment) I use drywall tape. Convenient, cheap, has a good tooth.
I remember as a young lad going up to my grandfathers cabin way up in northern WI with gramps, my father, and my uncle. Uncle Joe complained about a tree that was always in his way when he hauled his camper up there and swore that he was going to cut it down "to the ground" that trip. Gramps laughed at him and told him he better bring his chainsaw sharpener and plenty of files since it was an ironwood tree. Joe fired up his chainsaw and went after that tree. 10 minutes later he had a slight gouge in it just past the bark and was waiting for the blade to cool down before he could sharpen it. Repeat about 5 times more and that slight gouge had hardly gone much deeper. Joe just quit at that point. Grampa and dad had a pretty good chuckle at Joes expense. I remember that tree being there for a few more decades after, and it was finally logged off by a commercial logger who had much better equipment than we ever had.

Strangely enough gramps cabin was just outside of Hurley WI which is pretty close to Ironwood MI.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors