A weekend woodworker...

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickc

Guess I'll take my turn at this as well. A number of years ago, my father started sending some home made, wooden toys, toy chest and rocking horse to my daughter as gifts. I was intrigued and decided I would try some of this, myself. I used a bonus check to purchase some "starter tools" - mostly Craftsman brands as I remembered them having a good reputation. Included a 10" table saw, scroll saw, gelt sander, jointer - a couple others I have since forgot. Anyway I had some fun, and then started buying the "name brand$$$"! When I moved to Cary about 4 years ago, I found the TWA was meeting up the road from me in Cary High. I went and found a good group of folks. Joined, and then started trying all of sorts of things. I really am just a weekend woodworker, and figure now is the time to try the vast choices woodworking brings. While I still have a steady income and can aford the hobby! I have come to the conclusion that at this time, furniture making (and other large projects) will only result in producing material for smaller projects. As a result, you will see most of my stuff is on the smaller size - scroll saw pieces, birdhouses, wooden toys, jewelry boxes, etc. However, at this time, most of the things I make only go out the house as gifts. I am blessed with family members who are more impressed that I can do some of this stuff, rather than looking for artistic pieces. In the meantime, I have taken on a couple of jobs with the TWA and figure I am doing bartering - I will give them my "administrative skills and time" and take from them their "knowledge and experience". It has worked out quite well so far. No one has realized I am getting the better end of the deal! Well, enough rambling - hope to get the opportunity to learn from the rest of you as well.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WELCOME, I too tend to make 3-4 things for the scrap, "prototype" pieces, and off-cuts of one big project. It pays off to be a pack rat, sometimes. Thanks for introducing yourself. Dave:smile:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I want to add a few things about Rick. I meet him at TWA meetings and he has gone out of his way to hype this site at meetings and in the newsletter and already brought in at least 5 new members. (Rick, did you ever get a count?)

The other thing that Rick has done for this site, is be a guinea pig. He was the first to getan email address and if you go to http://rickcornell.ncwoodworker.net, you'll see that he also willing to be my test case for subdomain web sites.

Those of you in computer related fields understand the pain and such that being an Alpha or Beta tester i for a feature. Well, Rick has stuck with it through thick and thin. So I justed wanted to thank him publicly.

R

rickc

Well, I think I will paraphrase a statement good ole Mr Schultz used for Charlie Brown: There's no greater pressure than having great potential!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Rick,

Thanks for you contributions to TWA and North Carolina Woodworker. I've been to two TWA meetings recently. The meetings were well organized and the presentations were substantive.

I'm up to three barrels full of "off-cuts" for the upcoming firewood season and only three of four small projects finished! Now if I can only justify the time spent :doubt:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS