A tale of learning to Turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
The only reason I am posting this is to assure everyone, that I am trying to learn to turn with my Rikon Midi Lathe:eusa_danc

I think it was almost a year ago that I took a beginner's class on turning. The first half of the class was the standard bead cove stick, which I was terrible at and started to get very frustrated. The second half was to make a "weed pot" using green wood.

I thought I was frustrasted before, but this was horrible. I couldn't do anything right. As some point I said **** it and quit. Threw out the bead and cove stick and left. Previous to the class, I had picked out a Delta Midi-lathe and a beginner's set of tools. But when toolferone asked how I wanted to pay, I suggested he do something indelicate with the tools and left.:lol:

When I got home, I realized I still had the weed pot. So I showed my wife, thinking we'd get a good laugh out of it. But she oo'd and ah'd and put it on display. Every once in a while I'd throw in the trash, but she would rescue it put it back out:BangHead: Either love is truely blind or she was keeping it there to remind me how bad I was, everytime I wanted to buy a new tool:eusa_doh: Any way, as the green wood dried, it cracked.
WeedPot.jpg

When you guys gave me the Lathe and tools (thank you again), I decided what better piece to learn on.

Well it didn't turn out great, but this time I really learned something. I learned to make a tenon and use a chuck. I learned to use my tormek and sharpen some of the tools. I learned that eventually there will not be enough wood left to repair my mistakes. I learned to sand on the lathe and after putting a finish on it that I hadn't sanded carelfully enough or to high enough grit. I learned to horizontal bore.

So anyway, while it is still something that I wouldn't want to display, it makes a decent before and after picture. BTW, I had a ball doing it
WeedPot2.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Way Cool, Steve!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Your before and after pics certainly do show that you have 'nailed' that turning thing! It would appear that your persistence is paying off! What kind of wood is that?

I am quite sure that your LOYL is really impressed and ready to get you building a display case for your turnings!

Great job!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
See there was a reason your wife saved that thing...so you could show before and after pictures :lol:
How did you turn the crack out of it :lol:

Looks really good Steve, much better than it did, and seeing as that is the first thing we've seen come out of your shop in while (except excess tools) I'm very impressed. At least it didn't 'plode in your face, keep up the practice :icon_thum

Dave:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Thanks guys, but you all really know I've got a longs ways to go, :roll: but now I feel that I may get there:lol:

As far as the wood, I knew once but I don't remember. It came from Alan Leland's back yard.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
SteveColes said:
As far as the wood, I knew once but I don't remember. It came from Alan Leland's back yard.

I would guess that it is spalted soft Maple with a little Ambrosia beetle holes/stains.
The finish really brought out some nice color in it.
Dave:)

frankson

New User
Jeff
Steve,

As Clay will probably tell you, a little DeNatured Alcohol (aka DNA in his pen-turning class) will help clean up and point out tool marks "before" you apply stain...atleast it helped me this weekend.

My first turning was for a drawer pull. Well the **** thing was so long it looked like a teenage Pinocchio's nose with acne....n, there will be no pix posted, it's mulch by now.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great job Steve.:icon_thum I am glad you have been able to find some time to get out to the shop for a little turning.

D L

cskipper

Cathy
Great job! I don't know how to bore except with a drill bit. Congrats for getting back on the horse and kicking butt!

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
I like it!! This looks very nice!! :eusa_clap Keep working and you will learn to love the lathe!

Mike:)

JRD

New User
Jim
Steve,

The Byrds (way back in the 60's) had it right.

"To everything, TURN, TURN, TURN,
There is a season, TURN, TURN, TURN!

sapwood

New User
Roger
SteveColes said:
I learned to use my tormek and sharpen some of the tools. I learned that eventually there will not be enough wood left to repair my mistakes. I learned to sand on the lathe and after putting a finish on it that I hadn't sanded carelfully enough or to high enough grit. I learned to horizontal bore.
.... BTW, I had a ball doing it
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap So the lesson is "Learning is fun" :eusa_danc

Way to hang in there Steve, I'm sure there's more turning-learning and fun to come :mrgreen:

Sapwood

DavidF

New User
David
Hey Steve, take one of Big Mikes classes, the intro to bowl turning was great and he's a good teacher, we had a bit of a laugh as well as turning out two bowls in the day. Nice job on the "weed pot" something from the 60's (if you know what I mean;-))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS