A "rough" question for the masses...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodRose

New User
Sam
I recently purchased a 12 inch disc sander (subdued tool gloat:eusa_danc) and while shopping for replacement discs I realized I had a question… should I keep using the very difficult to remove stick-on adhesive backed disc or is it advantageous to switch to hook and loop discs?

I imagine that the tolerances between the rotating disc and the table may be an issue AND reduced rigidity of the disc foundation itself may create a spongy surface that could result in slight rounding on the piece edges during periods of excessive pressure.

With this being said what are the opinions and or experiences from the folks here of the pros:thumbs_up and cons:thumbs_do to using Hook and Loop versus sticky discs?:dontknow:

Thanks!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am not the expert but IMHO hook and loop is OK for ROS and pad sanders but might not hold up to well on the higher speed disc sanders, Hook and loop is best used when changing grits.

I used the self stick in my disc sander.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I switched to H&L when they first became available; 10-15 years ago? I wouldn't go back. And if it's good enough for Festool, it must be good enough for me. :cool:
However, I use the PSP on my Worksharp.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use the PSA. Here's how I change to a new disc:
Use a hair dryer or heat gun to loosen the old PSA disc.
Peel back and fold 1/2 of the wax paper down to meet the bottom half and give it a sharp crease and cut it off.
Hold your mouth with your tongue just so and slide the wax paper half down the crack between the disc and table.
Apply the sticky part to the top half of the disc.
Rotate the disc around so the wax paper side is up.
Pull the wax paper off and press the PSA to apply.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I don't use either hook and loop, or PSA disks. Because Klingspor is close by, I check their bargin bin for paper wide enough for my disk sander (12".) I cut 12" circles and spray backs with contact adhesive. Let dry five minutes and then attach to sander. If you spray both sander and disk with contact adhesive, you will never do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS