A new wood, a new box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
A friend from another forum gave me a stick of wood which had the word "Cicique" written on a piece of tape stuck to the wood. I knew nothing about it and had a relatively hard time finding much out about it. Cicique, is scientifically Brosmium rubescens, is part of the bloodwood family of woods and is also known as Pau rainha and Palisangre. It is just as hard and dense as bloodwood but is much more colorful. Polishes like glass. I found it easy to turn with a gouge but it was a little splintery with a sharp parting tool or sharp skew. Gave me some trouble on the flange for the bottom.

This little box finished up at 2 5/8" in diameter and 2 7/8" tall. To be such a little thing it is heavy in your hand because of the denseness of this wood.

Attachments

• Cicique3 (500 x 506).jpg
    Cicique3 (500 x 506).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 287
  • Ciciqueopen (600 x 369).jpg
    Ciciqueopen (600 x 369).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 279

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike, once again you have produced another beautiful box.:eusa_clap I really like the quality of finish you put on it. It looks great.:icon_thum

D L

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Thanks guys. Travis, this has been sanded through 1200 and then some and polished with the Beall buffs minus the diamond compound which I fear getting in pores of the wood. Finally buffed with soft felt and given a spit shine with some Renaissance wax. I can see myself in it.....:lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Big Mike,

Great turning as usual and the color is truly striking. I continue to be amazed at the variety of wood types and colors. Thanks for sharing that beauty :eusa_clap

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors