A 'must see'...Hull Oakes, oldest steam sawmill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick&String

New User
Scott
I found this on another forum and took used it as is. This is an awsome!!

http://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/HullOaks.htmhttp://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/HullOaks.htm
Hull-Oakes Lumber is the last steam-powered commerical saw mill in the country, and they're one of the few mills capable of cutting large timbers up to 85' long. The mill has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1996. Large long timbers are still used in railroad trestles, the restoration of historic structures, and for the spars and masts of ships.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for sharing Scott :icon_thum I have been fascinated by steam power since I was a kid and really liked the photo journey through the mill. :wsmile:
PS- You have a really cool signature line. :gar-La;

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Glenn, if you like steam, then you need to arrange to attend the "Old Time Threshers Reunion." At the North Carolina State Fair, they have a steam powered saw mill, but a lot smaller than Hull.

kirkpj01

New User
Kip
This is just too cool. It is nice to know that there is room for all sorts and generations of technology in an operation like this.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A fascinating tour. Thanks for posting the link.

BTW, the mill also looks like an OSHA inspectors playground! :dontknow: It kinda reminds me of the Ohio steel mills circa. 1960s.

jpaup

New User
JP
Thanks so much for sharing this. Really takes me back.

In the late 50's/early 60's I lived as a kid in Coos Bay not far from here. At that time mill operations like this were to be found all over SW Oregon, Coos Bay was the world's largest lumber port, and log rafts half a mile or longer were floated down the Coos and Eastside rivers to the Weyerhauser mill and port. What totally escaped me at the time, and only came to notice after we moved away and returned to visit, was the pervasive smell of wet wood (picture a wet dog with an undertone of Pine-Sol).

Most of the mills (and skilled jobs) are gone now. Glad to see this one still up and operating. Looking at these pictures I can still smell the wood.

Thanks!

dlrion

New User
Dan
Wow that is really cool!

I don't know if you know this, but in eastern NC the majority of the timber came from an area that is now part of Goose Creek State park. They had a miniature steam railroad there, where they cut the trees down, and then floated them upriver to a large sawmill in Washington. You can still see the old "Log Pen" if you paddle a canoe up the creek. They have pictures of the old dock and logging operation What a cool job!

Really cool, thanks for sharing the link.

wrwilder

New User
Ray
Thanks for sharing this link. Man I'd love to take a tour of that place but the pictures will have to do. I'm amazed at the size and complexity of the entire mill. Makes our little workshops look like child's play.
Thanks again. Great pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS