A little re-saw help, please. Got-r-done

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
In the Raleigh area:eusa_pray. I started working on the hall bench/shoe storage system for my wife. I got all my stock jointed and planed. I am working with Ash, that I got at the spring picnic. It's quite thick stock (1 3/8"+ in the rough), so not wanting to plane it all down to 3/4" and waste so much wood, I thought I could re-saw and book match my panels.
Well my G0555 14" BS isn't quite up to the task. I don't know if it's a dull band, not enough power, or just that Ash is a very hard wood. But it was screaming like a child not getting it's way:cry_smile.
I have 8 pieces of 4-6" wide, 1" thick and 3' long stock that I would like to re-saw to around 1/2" thick (before planing again) to glue up panels in the 1/4-3/8" thick range.
If anyone could help me with this I would be very grateful. Ideally this could be done tomorrow or soon as I am off work this week, and hope to complete this project this year.
Please let me know if you might be available for a quick run thru your BS anytime in the near future. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!

Dave:)

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave, I have a Rikon 14" wired on 220v and it seems to have plenty of power. I also have a new resaw blade that I can install. Would sometime Thursday work for you, I live in NE raleigh. Just email or PM me

Happy New Year
phil

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Phil, I would like to get it done sooner than Thursday, but if I get no other offers, I will very appreciatively take you up on yours.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have the same saw, so I can't really offer any help, but a dull blade is the most likely culprit. Here's a trick I used a few times: Use the table saw to cut a groove 2" deep in the middle of the board. Flip it around and groove the other side. Now you only have 2" to resaw instead of 6". Of course, do this in stages, raising the blade maybe 1/2" at a time.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dave, my 17" Grizzly is at your disposal. The blade is new, and I'm around all week.

Tomorrow I'll be in the shop for at least the morning (am having spray foam insulation installed in the generator and mechanical rooms).

Scott

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have noticed on mine (HF Central Mach type, not Griz), that it really screams and does not cut if:

1. I have forgotten to tension the blade

2. I have the rear bearings back too far (happens if I change blades or when I adjust top wheel tilt to align drift)

3. The side rollers have really gotten gunked up and they are too tight to the blade.

Mine isn't a top-notch saw, but have resawn (albeit slowly on the big widths) 4" WO, 8" BW and 12" pine okay with a 1/2 x 4TPI Timber Wolf.

Hope this helps

Go

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, my 17" Grizzly is at your disposal. The blade is new, and I'm around all week.

Tomorrow I'll be in the shop for at least the morning (am having spray foam insulation installed in the generator and mechanical rooms).

Scott

Scott, that would be awesome. Morning is ideal for me (what's your idea of morning :eusa_thin) Plus I just love visiting your shop and leaving with the wonderful feeling of inadequacy :gar-Bi Just let me know when it would be best to stop by...I can bring breakfast if morning for you starts before noon.
Thanks!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
well I'm late but available anytime after 6AM. I'll be in the shop all day. prolly not as close as scott though......:gar-Bi

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,

I'm glad you found help with that. Mine sounds like that EVERY time I resaw with it. :swoon:

Yeah I think it might be a little underpowered for it's capacity. But it was a good priced BS when I got it, and has done almost everything that I have asked of it. I just don't feel like messing with it lately and getting a new band. Begging for help is so much easier, and I get to hang with someone with cool(er) tools for a bit.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Sounds like you found all the help you need.

If your other offers don't work out you are most welcome to try your cuts here. I beleive I must be right around the corner from you.
And, at least here, you won't leave with any shop envy. :wsad:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Sorry to be late to jump on the wagon. But you know yoou can come here anytime. MM16 5hp motor and almost new Lennox Carbide trimaster

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Cheap ,Cheap ,Cheap Buy ya a dang blade :no::no: mercy me,Oh well guess we might have ta pass the hat to get ole cheapo a new blade :rotflm::rotflm:

Yeah I think it might be a little underpowered for it's capacity. But it was a good priced bandsaw when I got it, and has done almost everything that I have asked of it. I just don't feel like messing with it lately and getting a new band. Begging for help is so much easier, and I get to hang with someone with cool(er) tools for a bit

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ken I think it's more than the band. I've bought new bands, messed with the tension, replaced the bearings when they went bad and I still can't get a good re-saw out of this machine. It does everything else I ask of it so I can't complain. I only re-saw twice a year or less.
Asking for help is what this site is about, and because of that it is a whole lot easier that f*&cKin' around with this machine until it obeys me.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Ken I think it's more than the band. I've bought new bands, messed with the tension, replaced the bearings when they went bad and I still can't get a good re-saw out of this machine. It does everything else I ask of it so I can't complain. I only re-saw twice a year or less.
Asking for help is what this site is about, and because of that it is a whole lot easier that f*&cKin' around with this machine until it obeys me.

if the stock is only 6-8" wide why not put a thin kerf blade on the table saw and rip... rotate and rip again leaving a 1/2" or so in the middle. then rip with the bandsaw and plane flat? :dontknow: with all those elves you got t would be done before you posted the request!:rotflm: you needed out of the house???????????:gar-La;

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Wish I was closer to ya and we would get that sucker goin straight,but ya know I had ta mess with ya.:gar-La;

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, that would be awesome. Morning is ideal for me (what's your idea of morning :eusa_thin) Plus I just love visiting your shop and leaving with the wonderful feeling of inadequacy :gar-Bi Just let me know when it would be best to stop by...I can bring breakfast if morning for you starts before noon.
Thanks!

Darn, I should have turned the computer on BEFORE I made breakfast! :gar-Bi

Dave, I just sent you an alert on your Nextel, but figured that I'd also respond with a "stop by anytime." The spray foam guys postponed until next week; they have a job to wrap up today that they did not complete yesterday. In a few minutes I'm headed over to the shop and will be away from the computer for the rest of the morning.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks to Scott's generosity I got my re-saw work done today. Boy it is nice to work with a nice tool. Scott's 17" Griz sliced through this Ash like it was warm butter, and quietly too. In addition to the little bit of re-sawing I had to do it was also nice to see the progression on Scott's shop and have a nice talk with him on many subjects. I got to see the feathered Oak frame in person, and it's awesome.
I had hoped to show some pictures of my book-matched panels glued up and ready. But due to a little movement after the re-saw (thick AD boards) I thought it would be best to give them a day to equalize. So I give you the stack of 4 squared and re-sawn stock that will soon be this bench.

Hall_bench_WIP_002.jpg

Scott may have some In Action shots...so y'all will know it really happened.

I also glued up and turned the two round thingies that will be the arm rests on the bench. I am quite proud of them as they are within 1/32" in diameter of each other and of perfectly consistent diameter across their 19" lengths.

Thanks again Scott for the assist, and spending a couple hours with me this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors