A lathe for Scott Smith :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Naa, that ain't big enough. 12" swing ain't nothing.
This is what he needs...so I can borrow time on it.
LatheLarge.JPG

Dave:)

eyekode

New User
Salem
Dave, I read that as 12" of height over the beds so 24" maximum diameter. Not too shabby! But really... what would you use that length for?! Wonder how they make telephone poles... :)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I want a patternmakers lathe someday. But, that one is a bit small for Scott. I would even like one larger than that.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
<grin>

Salem (et al), I know that y'all will be "shocked" to learn this, but I already own a lathe with a 16" swing and an 8' bed.... It's tucked away in storage until I get the shop further along, which is why most folks haven't seen it.

It's an old South Bend metal lathe from 1916, but I'm intending to convert it over to a wood lathe. Might be a little overkill for turning pens though...

That old Oliver looks in nice condition, but the 1/4 hp motor surprised me (typo, perhaps?). It's bed is longer than my South Bend too; probably used for turning columns or something.

If anybody want's to buy it, I'll be glad to store it for them! I even have 440V power to keep her warm! :gar-La;

eyekode

New User
Salem
I think the 1/4hp is for the motor that moves the tool-rest thingy. The main motor looks wayyyy bigger than 1/4hp :).

That South Bend of your sounds cool. I assume it has gears for threading? Would be sweet to make some big 2 tpi wood screws :).
Salem

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
For those of you that wonder what NASA did with it, It's from NASA Langley and they for years have done mostly Aircraft and aerodynamics research. They have some VERY big windtunnels and I would suspect that they used it in the model making process. In the last few years much of the money that funded them has gone away so I know that they are doing some major downsizing. But I do think Scott should buy it for a BACKUP lathe for his smaller projects.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
On another note - has anyone bought from IRS? I note that the policy states the successful bidder must provide an Accord insurance certificate for 2 million naming IRS and the seller as additional insured. We get these certificates all the time at work, but I wonder how difficult it would be for a private individual???

C.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A lot of those old pattern maker lathes were used in foundry prep work to make wood molds that were packed in sand then the wood was removed and steel or iron was poured into the sand mold.

There was a foundry in Tuscaloosa where I grew up and I saw a lot of old lathes around town that were sold off from the foundry. Back in 1978 I turned down a 24 foot lathe with 30 inch swing for $200 because I had no place to put it.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
On another note - has anyone bought from IRS? I note that the policy states the successful bidder must provide an Accord insurance certificate for 2 million naming IRS and the seller as additional insured. We get these certificates all the time at work, but I wonder how difficult it would be for a private individual???

C.

IRS will have a rigger onsite that has the proper insurance. for a nominal fee the Rigger will load it on your truck.

Robb Parker

Robb
Corporate Member
I have bought from IRS many times. Good experiences. Only had to provide ins cert once and my company policy sufficed at 1M. Mostly tools that I could load without fork lift.
Robb

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
That South Bend of your sounds cool. I assume it has gears for threading? Would be sweet to make some big 2 tpi wood screws :).
Salem

Indeed it does. Hopefully sometime in the spring I can dig it out and get it set up in the shop. It's one of the models that was driven from an overhead line shaft, and I have everything with it except for the gap (gap bed lathe), which is not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS