A Friend is Selling Everything in Both His Shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
A friend of mine has been a woodworker for more years than I've been alive (and that's quite a few)! His health is now so bad he knows he won't be able to build anything from now on. He has two woodworking shops and says he is selling "everything in both of them." He also has more hardwood lumber than most people would use in a lifetime, stacked by species.

He is not going to advertise in the local papers because he doesn't want everybody and their brother to show and up where he has to worry about pilfering, etc. He has had quite a bit of trouble with this in the past. He agrees with me that woodworkers are dependable, honest people so he only wants to advertise here and in the local woodworking clubs.

The sale will be at his big shop on January 7th and 8th and 14th and 15th. He was also an antiques dealer and is selling everything in his antique storage building. If any of you know anybody personally who would be interested in the antiques, please invite them as well.

I know he has a couple of cabinet saws, an 8" joiner, a 20" planer, bandsaws, drill presses, routers, a shaper, a scroll saw, a welder, a plasma cutter and lots of other stuff. He told me he's keeping the nails, washers and a hammer. He also has antique tools such as planes and some other antique tools.

He has a full building of typical yard sale items and he emptied out a ceramic tile warehouse and has a lot of tiles suitable for small projects or mosaics.

In order to prepare for the sale weekend on Jan 7th and 8th, he needs some help tagging and moving items from one shop to the other since he is unable to do it himself and cannot afford to hire help. If anyone is willing to help him do this the weekend of December 17-18, they would get first look and first offer at his stuff. This would not be a formal sale but, in exchange for helping him move, tag and organize, he would offer better deals and first looks at his equipment.

Remember, he also has a lot of antiques (which I don't know anything about) so even if a member of your family is not a woodworker, they may like to help tag the December weekend and get a look and special price at those items.

If anyone would like to help on the weekend of December 17-18, please PM me and I will pass your name along to Richard and give you his address. He lives in Camden, SC near Lake Wateree.

Mike Davis has also been in his shop so, Mike, if you want to chime in here, feel free. He is selling the big joiner/planer that you helped him get running again.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wow!

I knew this day would come, he had a hard time getting around when I was there, BUT I never saw an almost 80 year old man lift a solid heart pine door and swing it around like it was a cheap hollow core like he could. I hate to hear he has declined to this point.

I would love to come help but will need to see what my schedule looks like.

Folks, if you need BIG tools, great solid old iron, well maintained machinery that will do the job day in and day out this is THE sale you need to make every effort to attend. It will be worth the trip just to sit and listen to the stories this man can tell, when I was there he wouldn't let me sit much, work, work, work. Man with a mission and well bent on getting it done.

And the antiques! He had a store 20 years ago and has all kinds of stuff left over, collections of anything you can think of, especially nautical stuff. I don't have a clue what he is selling vs. keeping on the antiques but chances are if you have been years looking for something...he has two or three.

And the wood! Man oh man! I wish I had a big truck, loads of cash and a warehouse to store it. He had a door and window factory and there is walnut, maple, and old OLD heart pine that is almost translucent. Some 4 and 6 inch thick slabs if he hasn't used them already. Old growth rare stuff.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Wish I could come, but I'll be back down in GA by then. I'll be around for the holidays. I am in need of a new joiner, drill press and bandsaw.

Cbozz

Chris
User
what kinds of species/ quantities of wood are we talking about? I have a couple projects coming up where I'll be looking for ~3000bf of ~7" wide fas1f 4/4 white oak. probably too specific a requirement, and I can't help tag that weekend, but may try to make the sale. I could use a power feeder or two and have been looking for a deals on some larger sanding equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS