A Few test bowls

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Had some scrap and had watched a few videos on making bowls with out a lathe. So decided to give it a try. Did get a bit messy but would have probably been the same with a lathe. One bowl is 12 inches 2" ambrosia maple, just cleaned up and edge and glued together. One is Walnut 8" diameter. I had a 1" by piece so I cut in half and glued on on top of the other., was able to get a nice chevron pattern on the side The last is 7" diameter. Had a 2" thick hunk of cherry that had a lot of splits in it so I glued a 1" piece to the bottom for support, then after cut I add some epoxy to fill in and add strength. Finished with the same finish as the cutting boards i have made. It is a mix of mineral oil, bees wax and carnauba wax with the last coat buffed in.
20210814_174631.jpg
20210815_162613.jpg
20210822_154657.jpg
20210822_154711.jpg
20210822_154722.jpg
20210822_154734.jpg
20210822_155101.jpg

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
You have got some killer crudités trays there. Your wife is going to be pleased. Make one around 12" across for more veggies.

Roy G

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Great looking work, hope you had an enjoyable event. Awaiting the seventies to get back at it here- don't enjoy the mid nineties, and don't get up as early as I used to

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Those bowls look great!!! However, that avatar is another story, remember this is the NCWW not FLWW :D
Seriously, that Chevron pattern is sweet but so is the 2 toned one.

I really appreciate you posting pics before and after the finish too. I have only just started finishing with something other than paint.

I have the same question as Mike...did you use a drill press?

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Thanks. Yes I used a Drill press. I created the blanks, then used a circle cutter to cut the outer and inner circle, but not all the way through on the outside. So I kept the square corners on. Then used the drill press and a forstner bit to clear out the center of the bowl making sure the tip is short of the final depth. I then made a large router base out of a 12" x 24" piece of acrylic, and used a bowl and tray bit to finish the inter of the bowl. Once that was cleared out I used a band saw and cut off the outer corners and then a straight pattern bit to clean up the outside of the bowl. Then a radius bit for the bottom and top edges, then have fun sanding. Then the home made butcher block finish.

The only issue I really had was the acrylic was 1/4" thick and it cracked and broke at the screw holes on the large bowl. I just grabbed some 5 min epoxy and was able to glue the pieces back in place so I could keep going. Probably should have used 1/2 thick for something that size.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS