A few pics from friends old house...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Friend of mine lives in a small house, built, supposedly, in the 1920's.

Small or not, the cabinetmaker who built it as his home did some amazing, to me at least, things.

My friend is disabled and will not be in the house much longer, it will then be sold.

I took a bunch of pics while I was still able to, and am in the process of tieing them all together in "article form", but I could't resist posting a couple examples.

This is a curved staircase in the living room:

ben037.jpg

Notice the dovetails in both pictures. And the carved post.

ben012.jpg

Even the curved baseboard is dovetailed;

ben019.jpg

The other feature of the house is the archway between the living and dining rooms.
More pics to come later!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
That is some craftsmanship right there.

Looking forward to seeing some more pictures.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Homes like this should be on the national register. Craftsmanship like this should be shared with everyone.

Mike

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
This is the lower portion of the staircase post:

ben016-1.jpg

This is the upper portion. Note the painted(Grrrrrr....) trim work on the tiny landing in the background. The design is the same as on the stairs themselves, but the "crosshairs" are turned.

ben015.jpg

ben009.jpg

The dovetailing is pretty much everywhere. This is the casing around the front door:

ben001.jpg

This is the bottom of the side casing where it joins the baseboard:

ben002.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Tom,

Very nice, but saddened to hear that your friend will soon have to leave the home. Perhaps you guys could explore some options with the Harnett County Historical Preservation Society. They may be able to connect with a potential buyer or community organization who'd commit to retaining the original home. :dontknow: How about the National Registry of Historic Places?

It could become a local museum and showcase for Duncan, NC.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Thats a nice thought, Jeff, thank you.
The house, however, is actually in Endwell, NY.

My friend is disabled from a series of strokes, and will be moving to an apartment more suitable to his condition. Because it is on a very small lot, I like to think that any buyer would be prone to give the home the TLC it needs, as opposed to razing it. When built, it was all farmland around it. Now, it's big-buck homes everywhere.

ben043.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thats a nice thought, Jeff, thank you.
The house, however, is actually in Endwell, NY.

My friend is disabled from a series of strokes, and will be moving to an apartment more suitable to his condition. Because it is on a very small lot, I like to think that any buyer would be prone to give the home the TLC it needs, as opposed to razing it. When built, it was all farmland around it. Now, it's big-buck homes everywhere.

ben043.jpg

Tom,

RE: Endwell, NY. Broome County, NY.

Start there. All is not lost despite the high-dollar homes in the area. Perhaps the home could be moved to a new location without much damage. It'd sure be a shame to lose such a treasure. Just gotta think out of the box to find a new owner or partnership with a local historical society that could put it to good use. There may be Federal or NY State funding that could help, but in these tough times you'll have to dig to find them. I wouldn't just accept a patent "No, we can't do that" answer from an admin. person. Broome County Commissioners could be a useful resource as well in order to get a foot in the door; they may be interested in preserving a unique piece of the local history so you could get a pleasant surprise. :icon_cheers

JonT

New User
Jon
>>Even the curved baseboard is dovetailed;

:swoon:

I can't even recall the last time I saw quality carpentry like that, It's a showcase of talent. Thank you for sharing, and I hope things are well for your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS