A few boxes, and what I learned making them

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
OK, so these aren’t necessarily the fanciest things in the world, but I did accomplish the few things that I had hoped to in making them.

I am basically trying to answer one basic question: “Can I do this”? This time I decided to try my hand (or, more precisely, my table saw) at a making a “box joint”. I had some maple left over from the picture frames that I made a while back, so I planed that down to about 3/8″ (the thickest consistent size that I could get from the scraps). I made a few different sizes, and in the process, learned a few things.

First, and foremost, I learned that, Yes, I can do this!

A few other things that I learned:

• My dado blade isn’t the best in the world for making box joints.
    • It left a little wing at the back of each piece.
    • It left somewhat visible bat-man ears.
    • My dado blade (just the outside ones) isn’t quite 1/4″
  • I think that I would like 3/8″ better, more visually appealing.
  • If I had to do a lot, I would prefer to use a router with a jig
  • I don’t actually have an 1/8″ straight router bit, so I had to make-do with two passes with a smaller one (the bottom is held in with a stopped dado).
  • I actually CAN fasten two pieces of wood without using way too much glue
  • General Finishes Gel products work VERY well, and are easy enough for idiots like me
I also found that I need to seriously consider getting a jointer, and that I should probably replace the router lift in my table saw with a real router table. I haven’t used one that much, mostly because it is kind of a pain the way it is set up.

What should I try next?

Unfinished:
boxes_036.jpg

After the poly has been wiped on

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Looks like good work to me and great use of "scraps" as well.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

They look like they would nest/stack inside of each other. Got any shots of the insides or bottoms?

Brian.

Last edited:

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Looks like good work to me and great use of "scraps" as well.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

They look like they would nest/stack inside of each other. Got any shots of the insides or bottoms?

Brian.

Thanks!

The bottoms are decidedly un-glamorous, just 1/8" Masonite, since they will likely end up storing markers and whatnot. I didn't want to get too fancy.

Interesting that you ask about the nesting, I thought about it. The next batch will likely have that feature. I want to make LOML a storage/transport mechanism for the dog collars that she makes.

boxes_040.jpg

Disclaimer: I picked the best inside corner for the picture:wink_smil

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I think the bottoms look good and provide some interesting contrast. :icon_thum
Not to mention marker and marks from other writing/drawing utensils won't show up as boldly on that.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS