A door for my clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Question time again......
I am nearly finished with the woodworking part of my mantle clock. The last piece I need to make is the door. Please take the time to look at the larger image of this clock by clicking here, then clicking on the image of the clock.
Notice the router work on the inside of the frame. That door also has a rabbit on the inside of the door to hold the glass. My question is should I rout the individual 4 pieces of the door and then put it together? Or put it together and then rout it. If I rout it after i glue it together, I'm afraid that the corners of the door will look a bit rounded. Am I right here?

By the way, I have taken some pictures of the individual pieces thus far. I'll see if I can post them up somewhere sometime...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
IMHO, you should route the piece as one whole stick of wood and then cut your miters. Cut the rebate and then cut the decorative profile or vice-a versa. If you try to do the profile after assembly you would have to do a lot of chisel work to get the profile right in the corners. Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey no problem, every once in a while a idiot can come up with a good thought, just glad I can help. Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I agree with Dave. I am new to woodworking, but I've primarily been making picture frames. They have to be made just like Dave suggests or they will be rounded. The only thing that I would point out is that I think you would do better with a rabbet instead of a rebate!:lol:

Seriously, though, I am looking to possibly make a mantle clock and picked out the 14 day regulator clock from clockit. Are there other good resource online besides clockit? Anyway, I am trying to figure out what I need to buy from them to have everything I need, but without getting so much that I just need a bottle of glue and varnish to complete it. I actually want to create the thing :) Can you lend me some advice?

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I can certainly tell you my experiences with this clock. The plans are nicely done. They are on blueprint sized paper, and have alot of full scale drawings. The instructions they boast on their site, IMHO, are for the people that buy the kits. Kits come with everything, including the wood that all you do it put it together, no woodworking. The plans are just as they say, plans. They show the pieces needed, and it's up to you to decide what part to make in what order you want. What you would need to buy from them, in order to make the clock, is the components and the plan. Although, I believe you would do better (read cheaper) to find a local clock maker and have him buy the same clock movements. There is another place that sells clock plans like this.. but I can't find it. The name was something like Messle... or something like that.

Let me know if I can help further

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
thanks, Clay! I appreciate it. I have been looking at this for over a month now, but really wanted to hear from someone with experience! These boards are great!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I concur with Dave on this one. You can cut the rabbit and the profile on one long piece of stock and then cut your mitered pieces from the long piece of stock. If you ever have a need for a profiled edge on a piece of narrow stock this same technique can be used. Just start with a wider piece of stock which will allow you to rout your profile and rabbit more safely, then rip the piece on the TS to its final width and cut your miters last. Boy....I hope all of what I said makes sense.:oops:

D L

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Clay, this is a pic of my practice piece. (I have to make 5 of everything - 4 daughters!). Be careful of the bedding for the glass. This was advertised as clear! When it became apparent that it wasn't I tried to wipe the stuff off. Don't do that either :crybaby2: .

Clock003_thumb.jpg

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS