A different kind of box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I turn a lot of ring boxes which are simply small lidded bowls. I have found from experience that these items need to be fairly small so that the lid is easily graspable by people with small hands.

Here is a new shape for me out of cherry that is 4 1/2" in diameter and 2 3/4" tall. Gotta love how that cherry sands and polishes up.... One little knot sort of mars the lid but at least we know it is wood.

Any feedback on the shape would be appreciated.

jtdums

New User
Jim
Love the box. What was your finish procedure? The shape is unique. Not something that I would have likely turned, but I really like it. Beautiful cherry too.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Small hands!!!! That finish looks sooooooooo "slippery", I am not sure who could hang on to it!:eusa_whis That is an awesome finish and I think that knot adds a lot of character. It also compliments your great buffing and turning technique! (Weren't you afraid of the knot poppin' out while you were in the process of turning the lid?)

The shape certainly allows the beautiful grain in the cherry pop!

Wonderful work Mike!

Wayne

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Thank you for the positive feedback. Much appreciated!

I actually posted this box so Tom at Woodcraft could see what I was talking about if I was unclear when I was talking to him recently about a ring box.

Wayne, the knot was nice and tight and still is. If I find one that is loose and I am afraid that I will lose it I just put a few drops of thin CA on it and that usually seals the deal.

Jim, the finish is one I learned from David Marks on his TV show a long time ago. I just mix BLO and varnish in equal parts and then thin that mixture with 3 parts mineral spirits. This makes it a very runny and penetrating wiping varnish with oil that soaks in and pops the grain and varnish that builds, protects and shines.

I flood the piece while it still on the lathe with the finish, let it soak in, making sure to keep all surfaces wet. When it starts to thicken a little I wipe off the excess with paper towels. I try to almost wipe it clean. Then I turn on the lathe and use a paper towel to friction polish the finish. I actually rub it hard enough to generate some heat. It helps cure the finish. Then before applying the next coat while the lathe is running I use some 7/0 steel wool and a white 3-M pad and buff the finish. I repeat this process for 3 or 4 coats or until I am satisfied with the appearance.

It always helps to use fine grained wood like cherry and sand carefully. This little box is sanded through 600.

Thanks again.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking ring box Mike.:icon_thum I like the how the shape defines the divide between the lid and the base. Is the lid fit loose enough that you can remove the lid one handed while the box is sitting on a counter or dresser?

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike the finish is incredible, in addition to the beautiful box. :cool:

Thanks for posting and spiffing up our site :mrgreen:

Sapwood

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Yes, DL, this type of box, at least when I turn it is a loose lid. The lid makes contact, does not rattle around but will lift off easily. It is too large for most people to want to pick it up and twist off a lid.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, awesome as usual. I personally like the little knot in the top. The growth rings in the cherry radiate out from it like ripples when a stone is dropped in still water. Beautiful :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Beautiful work, as usual! I wish I could just come sit in the corner and watch you make some of these. (of course, I'll be taking notes :lol: )

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You can, take Big Mike's box turning class at the Raleigh Woodcraft. I believe that he's covering turned boxes like what he has posted.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I like it all, but since you ask for feedback I can't help myself.

First, a point of education for me. I thought I read somewhere that cherry wasn't good for turning??? Or maybe for some specific function that is made with a lathe, I don't know.....

I like the shape a lot over all, but is it stable/heavy enough/wide enough at the bottom to keep it from tipping? Otherwise, wouldn't change or do a thing. It is a winner.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
You know Travis, I read recently in Wood magazine that cherry wasn't good for turning utility bowls. Mike Mahoney the world class production turner said that cherry was too brittle for production bowls and usually cracked if it was dropped. It was too hard of a hardwood. He recommends the use of softer hardwoods. I have turned dozens of boxes both in flat grain and end grain orientation from cherry and to date have had no problems. I hope that they continue to be problem free but I guess time will tell. I just happen to like the way it turns and finishes. I have a friend who has a 22" inch diameter cherry bowl 14" deep that is over 100 years old. It has a uniform thickness of about 1/2" and is totally crack free. So who knows, I surely don't. I would never argue with someone who has turned thousands of bowls.

The width of the bottom is very deceiving in the picture Travis. The overall diameter of the box is 4 1/2" and the base of the box is more that 2 1/2". It is very stable. This design is slightly more decorative than some of my others with wider bases but it is still functional. The way I photographed it makes the bottom look narrower than it is.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
DaveO said:
You can, take Big Mike's box turning class at the Raleigh Woodcraft. I believe that he's covering turned boxes like what he has posted.

Dave, how do you know about my box turning class at the Raleigh Woodcraft? Tom and I just discussed that and agreed upon it yesterday. As a matter of fact I sent him an e-mail confirming the date. The other class I am teaching there is introduction to BOWL turning.

You must be psychic.

Cathy, I would be much honored to have you join us. The box class I am teaching will be on end grain boxes which is much different from this box. This box is turned with faceplate tools and a bowl gouge. My end grain boxes are turned with some scrapers but primarily spindle tools. My goal is to have everyone building or turning boxes. I guess I have a fetish when it comes to them....:lol: :mrgreen:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, I could swear that you made an announcement about the possibility of teaching a class a while back...or I am psychic :eusa_thin

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Cathy, my bowl turning class is May 28th I think. It starts at 9 AM I believe. The box turning class is June 17th. Same time same station. The box turning class will be for intermediate to advanced turners as it is end grain turning. If I teach a flat grain, i.e. ring box class it will be similar to an introductory bowl class. It would be nice to have you.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is where I read it, same magazine as you. To your point, the proof is in the pudding. If a bowl that big can last 100 years I don't see how it can be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS