A Couple of finished projects (Another try)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Got a couple of projects I have completed in the past couple of weeks.

First, is a Twin Bed made out of some of Jeff's QSRO. I made this for a friend at work. It is for his daughter. He is doing the finishing work.

Second project. I posted for this plan a while back. The LOMY decided she liked it so I made it. I did order the plans, so as to keep myself all legal. It is made of Jeff's QS Sycamore. I really love this table.

coffee2.jpg

open_coffee.jpg

Lastly, for the MIL, I made some serving trays. They are still sorta wet now. Put some waterlox on them. Big Thanks goes out to DaveO for helping me with the box joints. I think they turned out pretty good.

sapwood

New User
Roger
It's all good stuff Clay :icon_thum
But I had to show LOML the blanket/chest and we agreed it's sensational!!!

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, it's about time you posted those serving trays:roll:. But with all the other beautiful pieces you've recently made I understand why it took you so long. Now for the questions....
What did you use/do for the attachment of the rails to the head/foot board on the bed?
Did you make the panels on the blanket chest or use beaded ply?
How are the legs on the blanket chest constructed?

Excellent work all around :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Very nice work! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Some lucky people will be very happy on Christmas morning. :)

Chuck

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
The bed uses these, from Woodcraft. I've made a couple beds using some different kinds of hardware. I think I like these the best.

The chest uses some beaded ply, ( I think it was birch ) It matched the best with the sycamore.

Each leg on the chest is made of of 2 pieces of stock. The ends of the stock are cut at 45 degrees, and a spline cut down the center, and put together to make the angled leg. ( I know I did a terrible job of explaining that)

J

jeff...

Wow Clay I really like the blanket chest too but all of them are really nice :icon_thum

Interesting that birch looks right at home with Sycamore. I Just remembered that still owe you some ERC. I'll PM you for details, I'm really sorry I forgot about it, till I seen that blanket chest, please ask Amy to forgive me :BangHead:.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The bed uses these, from Woodcraft. I've made a couple beds using some different kinds of hardware. I think I like these the best.

The chest uses some beaded ply, ( I think it was birch ) It matched the best with the sycamore.

Each leg on the chest is made of of 2 pieces of stock. The ends of the stock are cut at 45 degrees, and a spline cut down the center, and put together to make the angled leg. ( I know I did a terrible job of explaining that)

Thanks Clay, I have a bed on my HDL and haven't decided how to attach the rails yet. Are the mortises for those fasterners pretty deep?

I asked about the legs because they look like one peice, great job of grain matching :icon_thum

Same thoughts on the beaded ply, I wouldn't have know it wasn't Sycamore that you T&G together if you hadn't 'fessed up.

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Here's the skinny on the bed rail fasteners. They really need stepped mortises for each piece. The male end, and the female end. I don't know of another way to describe them...

The male end needs a mortise for the plate, and another say... 1/8" mortise for where the hooks attach to the plate. ( There is a weld or something on the backside where the hooks attach to the plate) I took a forsner bit, and just made it a touch deeper where that weld is, seems to do an acceptable job. The thing to be aware of for the male ends, is you are putting screws into end grain, which will pull out if you move it around (DAMHIKT). What works well, is to drill a 1/2" hole about 1/4" from the end of the side rail nearly the entire width of the side rail, and put a dowel rod up in the hole. That gives the screws something to bite into.

The female plate take the same mortise for the plate. The trick is, you have to hollow out behind where the hooks get inserted, and a little below the opening in the plate, because the hooks slide down just a bit to hook onto the plate. I highly recommend doing this before you assemble everything together. That way you can put the legs up on your mortiser or DP to do that work. If you do it how I did it, you forget to do it before you have it all ready to deliver, and have to grunt and moan and just do the best you can with drill and hammer and chisel...:BangHead:

Hope this helps.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Clay,
Everything's nice, but I like the blanket chest alot, it looks like it could probably double as a coffe table, too.

Nice Job !

Jimmy:)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
That is some nice work...and all in a couple of weeks. You must have borrowed Santa's Elfs of maybe DaveO's. :lol:

T

toolferone

The thing to be aware of for the male ends, is you are putting screws into end grain, which will pull out if you move it around (DAMHIKT). What works well, is to drill a 1/2" hole about 1/4" from the end of the side rail nearly the entire width of the side rail, and put a dowel rod up in the hole. That gives the screws something to bite into.

Clay, didn't I tell you about that when you bought the hardware from me? I try to tell everybody about that tip of the dowel.

All the projects look great! I also really like the chest/table!!

lottathought

New User
Michael
I feel like I have been slammed and then I see you turning out things like this?
Really need to know where I can get a few of these elves.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Clay...the bed is very classy...I like the design (like it all..just really like the bed! :) ) ...nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors