A cedar boat I built a few years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastal1

New User
Ben
This was my first attempt at a cedar planked boat. It still needs final sanding. Length is 12ft. beam 4ft. 16" depth. My ex-wife confiscated it so it now resides in GA. I will be building a few more boats as time allows.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 205

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Very cool! I am dying to build a boat, but first I have to work down my project list a little bit... So, hopefully someday I will try to pick your brain!

cskipper

Cathy
Nicce boat.

Matt, if your list is like my list and you wait until it gets shorter, you may never get it done! :lol:

J

jeff...

Any plans you could post? Your boat is real inspiring, I've been thinking about trying to build one for a while and never thought about cedar being boat making material. Cedar sure is light when it's dry, so a boat made from cedar would be real easy to carry.

Thanks

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ben, that a fine looking vessel. Sorry you didn't get to finish it . . . the finished cedar would be beautiful. :)

Better luck next time :cool:

Roger

skeeter

New User
Charles
Nice job on the boat. Hope you get to build the next one soon. I would really like to try building one.

coastal1

New User
Ben
Hey, sorry no plans...this one is of my own design. But I can steer you in the right direction in getting started with a few general guidelines of length,width and a few angles you need to know. Just let me know the size and style of boat you are thinking of. Plywood would definately be a better choice for a first time build. But i've built both and can help with both

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Any plans you could post? Your boat is real inspiring, I've been thinking about trying to build one for a while and never thought about cedar being boat making material. Cedar sure is light when it's dry, so a boat made from cedar would be real easy to carry.

Thanks

Jeff,

By the time you finish the deck around the pool, you might not want to look at cedar for a while :rolf::rolf::rolf:

Ray

J

jeff...

Ray, I apprciate what your saying, but I'm also thinking I would have enough left over to build a boat like this I could test it out in the pool - yeah right :slap:

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
Good boat, sorry about the location of it now. Guess you told her to go float her boat, and she did. Look at it this way, you worked out the kinks with that one, and the next one will be so much better.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Beautiful job. Sorry you didn't get to christen her. However, given the precept that "A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into", at least you aren't pouring money into that one!
I've have about 5 years of old Boatbuider magazines I got when I was living on the Gulf coast and never had the time to build one. Thought I would when I moved here but that's not looking too good for the near future. Good to "meet" someone who actually "got-r-done":eusa_clap

Go

coastal1

New User
Ben
Hey Go, It was a little cheaper to just let the boat go with her than to try and divide it. I've built a few boats...and plan to build more as time and space allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors