A bumpy stick (don't look while eating)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
In an attempt to set a new low in craftsmanship on the forum (and mostly because I promised DaveO) here is my first ever attempt at turning:

Firstturning.jpg

It's what's left of a scrap 2x4 that I cut down to 1.5x1.5 then hacked at with a roughing gouge. Now that I've gone and posted the picture, I suppose I'll have to get better so I can post something with more redeeming qualities.

-The wood butcher

Monty

New User
Monty
NICE!!!!

That looks REALLY familiar! :lol:

Turn another one just like it, and you'll have a complete set!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice back massager. You have to start somewhere. Here's my first try at making a square thing round.
updatedworkshopturning041.jpg

Beware the slope is steep and very slippery. It's fun ain't it. Dave:)

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
I'll definitly give you that its fun. Believe it or not that is actually a real project, it's the first exercise in Sonja's turning book.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, ya'll actually read the instructions. I just dive in head first, and if it dosen't kill me, I learn from it. Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
LOL! That piece really takes me back!

I actually bought my midi-lathe on a whim (because it was on clearance, actually - $130). I took it home, set it up, plugged it in, and looked through the box to find a chisel or gouge or SOMETHING... needless to say, it wasn't there...

Then I surfed the forums at woodnet, figured out that I needed to order the $39 set of chisels from HF, and submitted my order. Then, when the chisels finally arrived, I took them down to the shop and looked 'em over.... no instructions.... hmmm....

Then I surfed some more, trying to figure out which tool to use for what... then I decided it was time to give it a try....

I went down to the shop, brand new tools in hand, and approached the lathe... then I realized I didn't have anything to turn. I looked around the shop, desperately, trying to find ANYTHING I could stick in the lathe. Found a 2x4, ripped it into a 2x2, and turned something that looks . . . . EXACTLY . . . . like what you posted here!!!!

:lol:

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Red Sonja said:
Hey did you take a picture of my bumpy stick too, or just your own?

Just mine, didn't want to drag you down with me :D

Insomniac,
I suppose we do all have to start somewhere and a scrap 2x4 is defintily cheaper than most things :slap:

Monty

New User
Monty
LOL! Ya'll all know the old saying, right? You know the one:

A bumpy stick is better than a sticky bump!

Words to live by! :lol:

OK, OK... please forgive me for posting this. I don't know what I was thinking. :lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
insomniac said:
LOL! Ya'll all know the old saying, right? You know the one:

A bumpy stick is better than a sticky bump!

Words to live by! :lol:

OK, OK... please forgive me for posting this. I don't know what I was thinking. :lol:

:rotflm:And I'm not even sure what that meant

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't know a sticky bump can be freed up with a little oil, but a bumpy stick....well you need a shot for that. OK, this is getting bad:eusa_hand ...but rather funny:laughing4

Dave:)

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
:rolf:, and I'm only a couple sips into this margarita.

DaveO, I'm so not going to take the bait and post on that. It's tempting but we might have kids on here someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS