A box in Camphor burl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
My son sent me some wonderful wood for Christmas. This is the first piece of it that I have turned. This camphor burl was a little wet so I rough turned it, soaked it in alcohol and let it dry. I finish turned it yesterday. I found it to be a little fibrous but it sanded just fine. It is a little over 3 1/2" in both diameter and height.

Monty

New User
Monty
Beautiful! You really captured some of the best figure in that lid. Did it make the shop smell nice when you turned it?

Big Mike

New User
Mike
insomniac said:
Beautiful! You really captured some of the best figure in that lid. Did it make the shop smell nice when you turned it?

Monty, camphor has to be some of the most fragrant wood I have ever turned. Not only did the chips make the shop smell good but every time I switched on the vacuum another power burst of scent flooded the shop. Very nice smelling wood! I should carry a sachet around in my shorts....:p

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Very nice Mike. I love the wood and the simplicity of the lines of the box show it off beautifully.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow Mike,, absolutely stunning.:icon_thum I like the way you matched the grain to flow from the box to the lid.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Big Mike, beautiful as usual. The burl figure on the lid looks like the surface of some planet like Mars. Really cool!!!!

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Nice work Big Mike. My wife was oooohhhing and ahhhhhing over that. I showed her some of your other work. (She especially liked the Masur Birch box.) She said... "Can you do that?" I just looked at her, raised an eyebrow, and said .. "ummmmmm... not at this time".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS