A basic dovetailed box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
..to house the dovetail jig!

I finally got back to some woodworking tonight. I did the joinery on the project I started a couple of weeks ago. The dovetail layout is the same as in my "Dovetails, part deux" thread. This is just how it looked when I first test-assembled it. I plan to put a thin birch plywood panel in a groove to form the back. Then I will make a frame-and-panel door for the front, again out of birch. (I'm using up whatever I have on hand, can you tell?)

IMG_0511.jpg

I will add some supports on the sides to support the jig.... like this:

IMG_0512.jpg

Here is how the jig fits in the box - actually it's a perfect fit:

IMG_0515.jpg

The idea is, I can take the jig out of the box and clamp it directly on the workbench if I want to sit down and use it. Or, if the piece I'm working on is too long or I want to stand up, I can clamp the jig to the top of its own storage box, and clamp the box to the workbench:

IMG_0517.jpg

Still to do: cut out hand holes on each side, put a panel in the back, make a sliding frame-and-panel door for the front, and make a box or drawer to go in the bottom to house the manual, bits, etc.

Just thought I would post so ya'll know I actually DO try to do some WOODworking from time to time!

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Insomniac, I am worried about you.... The very first thing I built with my Keller after making test cuts to set it up was a box to house it in....:lol: So I guess all great minds think alike. My box is large enough to hold the two templates, their wooden backer boards, the quick clamps and another small wooden box that I use to store all my bits for this jig. Gotta love it. I wish I had been smart enough to have adapted my box so that it would also serve to raise the jig off the bench as you show. Great idea!:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looks great and good idea. Post some finished pictures when your done. I am curious as to how the sliding raised panel door will come out. You've made a fine box to house an even finer jig, I'm doublely jealous:confused3 :sad11:

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Some progress today....

Here it is with the back installed (still nothing glued up yet):

IMG_0539.jpg

Here's the 1/4" birch plywood panel I used for the back. It is held in place in a groove that runs all the way around, set back about 1/16" to maximize inside space. I'm just going to glue it in:

IMG_0548.jpg

Here is a side view. You can see that the right side of the box was ripped 1/2" narrower than the width of the box, and the front tails on the top and bottom are 1/2" wider as well. This gives room for the groove which runs along the front top/bottom. That's where the door will slide in:

IMG_0544.jpg

More to come...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Is that ply veneered with birds-eye maple or did you just get lucky and find some nice figured ply? Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
No, that's "birds eye lauan" on the back face of that plywood!!! :lol: I actually don't know what it is, but it's not the good face - easier to tell in person.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looks pertty in the pictures, I didn't know that you could find "bird's-eye" Lauan, Even if it was the bad face. I like it, and it's a great backdrop for your D4. Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Finished roughing out the door:

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

And yes, DaveO, that IS figured plywood!!! :mrgreen:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
And very pretty too. Now I see how you're making the siding door. Looking great, can wait to see it glued up and finished. Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Great looking storage box. I think you can tell something about a man by how he stores his tools and any tool would be proud to reside in that nice box. Well done!!!!:eusa_clap :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS