8" Jointer assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranfy

New User
Randy
This may seem like a silly :eek: question, but I am looking to upgrade from my 6" jointer to an 8". I have a basement shop and am trying to figure out how to assemble the jointer once in my shop. I am looking at a Grizzly GO656PX and an Oliver 4230. The Grizzly weights 435 lbs and the Oliver 572 lbs. I know that they come in two crates, but am looking for how you get the main unit up onto the base. Is it as simple as having three strong friends come over to help lift it up onto the base? If I pick it up at a freight terminal and have them put it in my pickup truck, then I will also have to figure out how to get it out of my truck and onto the basement floor.
Thanks,

DWSmith

New User
David
When I received my Go490X from Grizzly, my son and I carried the table into the shop and on to the base with just a little effort. I have spinal stenosis so I have to be very careful when lifting but this wasn't as bad as I had feared.

Consider changing your order to the GO490X. The parallelogram jointer will be easier to adjust and maintain. Same cost but a better machine IMHO.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
When I got my ShopFox 8" Jointer, I unpacked the base first and set it up (minus the motor) behind my Pickup tailgate. Then uncrated the top, got a few neighbors and slid the top as far as I could to the end of the tailgate. Pulled it out right on to the stand. The fully loaded tailgate was ~1" higher than the top of the stand. Try not to move the top by holding it on the end of each bed. An engine hoist and sturdy straps/chains is the best way to move it if you can't load it onto it's base right of the tailgate like me. It's also a good way to avoid back injuries.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Two grown men can lift an 8" jointer bed and table assembly from floor height to the cabinet. If you want to knock off a fair chunk of weight, remove the fence assembly before the lift (on my jointer that was probably 50-70 lbs).

If you need to stage it, some strong 5gal paint buckets served as a good rest at the intermediate point (I can only exert myself for very brief periods, so had to rest a moment to finish the lift ... a problem most of you should not have).

The assembled weight for my 8" Jet jointer (straight knives) was about 400lbs, the shipping weight was closer to 500lbs. About a 100 or so pounds of the assembled weight will be in your base and motor. So by the time you subtract the base and the fence assembly, the bed and tables are quite manageable for two grown men.

Lift the bed/table assembly by grasping as close to the center bed as possible, NOT by the outermost portion of the tables (which is your jointer's weakest point).

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I moved my 15" planer onto a new base myself, with a little help from a chain hoist. I have convenient central beam to work from. If nobody near you has a hoist you can borrow, you're welcome to borrow mine.

planerMove2.jpg

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I agree that a couple (or more) people can easily lift it onto the base.

Red

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
When I got mine it took two of us to lift it and put it on. I do remember having to do it twice, as it didn't seat correctly on the first lift, or there was a board still bolted to the bottom of the table that I didn't see after taking apart the top of the box, I don't remember. I also remember wishing I had smaller hands when putting the nuts on the bolts to secure the two pieces. Take the time to align the pulleys and it should be a great addition to your shop.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I saw Wall Lumber's site mention that they got some demo Oliver machines from a woodworking show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS