630 Rockwell Router - Now She Purrs Like a Kitten

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I own a Rockwell (pre Porter Cable) 630 router, which needed a bottom bearing. This isn't he more common 6202 bearing, but one with an extended center. Looking at a well know vendor's web site bearing is $42 + shipping. Looking on Ebay same bearing was less than $18 delivered. Ordered one on Tuesday, and it arrived today. Already installed it. 50 year old router now purrs like a kitten

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've had a few of the 630s over the years. Nice routers and the precursor to the popular 690. I think I still have one that I've dedicated for my dovetail router jig.
The original bearings lasted well because they were lubricated and fit for the 20K+ rpm. Newer 87502 bearings won't last as long, but since its a rather easy change job, its not a big deal. Perhaps the $42.00 bearing had a higher speed rating, but that's a risk these days as a seller can package anything and it will work for a while.
The 690 is essentially the same package, just a little higher amp eater motor. I think the 630 was advertised as 1-1/4 HP. I've never noticed a difference between the 630 and the 690.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
. I think the 630 was advertised as 1-1/4 HP. I've never noticed a difference between the 630 and the 690.
The 100 was 7/8 HP, 630 1.25 HP, and 690 1.5 HP if memory serves me correct. This router was rescued from scrap for $0,15 per pound in the late eighties. It was made in the sixties, which means it's over 50 years old. How many tools today will make 50 years?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
How many tools today will make 50 years?

If the tool is battery powered, it likely won't last that long. However, in that realm, battery powered tools are improving greatly,
As for portable power tools with cords, they could easily last that long if well built to begin with. These days another factor for longevity is that some types of corded tools aren't used that much any more so a tool that isn't used can last a very long time.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I have found myself dealing with old, extended race bearings (thicker because of felt seals) twice before. I simply used standard modern 62xx bearings and shimmed the excess width on the outer race (bearing houses sell shims in relevant sizes.) Cheaper and works 100 pct.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I have found myself dealing with old, extended race bearings (thicker because of felt seals) twice before. I simply used standard modern 62xx bearings and shimmed the excess width on the outer race (bearing houses sell shims in relevant sizes.) Cheaper and works 100 pct.

This makes a great deal of sense if one does a lot of bearing replacements. I'll do this in 90% of the cases where the felt seal offset inner race bearings need replacing. There is a slight inset to some the 87500 series bearings and this can cause some dimension and support problems in rare instances. If one does a bearing replacement on rare occasions, the shim ring may not be the easiest way to go.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS