6" Dust Ports??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Was anyone running 6" duct able to find a good source for 6" dust ports or did you have to fabricate your own?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
David, I've got duct work from 4" all the way up to 8" on my system. I was able to buy all my fittings from Oneida, including multiple combinations of wye fittings, blast gates, reducers, etc. I bought the actual ducts from the local BORG, simply because they were cheaper. I'm not sure if this addresses your question, since you asked about "ports".

Bill

Allan Campbell

New User
Allan
I think you are asking about what I call blast gates. If so, the best source I could find is The Blast Gate Co. at http://www.blastgateco.com/Blast-Gates.htm.
Prices were very good compared to others and the gates seem to be top quality. I have about 14 blast gates in use with roughly 1/2 of them from the Blast Gate Co.
As far as I can tell, some of the others (much more expensive at about $35 for a 6") are identical to their aluminum at $9. At that price they are just slightly more expensive than plastic gates which are nowhere near the same quality.
Shipping was fast and reasonable.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Just to clarify; I am looking to hook up a larger than 4" hose directly to my equipment. I measured this morning and found that my HF DC inlet is actually going to only accept a 5" hose, not the 6" that I thought. Either way I still need a special fitting; thank for the answers so far.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Sounds like you need a "reducer" in reverse, to go from a 5" inlet to a larger hose. There are lots of sites available that can provide those; I just happen to be familiar w/ this one, since it's where I got my DC. I'd check several to find the best value.

Oneida

Bill

M

McRabbet

Was anyone running 6" duct able to find a good source for 6" dust ports or did you have to fabricate your own?
I built my own 6" ports using 1/2 of a 6" PVC coupling glued with Gorilla Glue into 3/4" or 1/2" plywood (I cut the coupling in half very carefully on my tablesaw). I am using 6" S&D PVC (ASTM D-2729) for my ductwork and purchased many of my fittings from the S&D bins at Lowe's. If you want good 6" blastgates, you can either build them using the technique that Alan in Little Washington uses, or purchase the new dsigned ones from ClearVue Cyclones when they come back online for business. Here are some pictures of my shop built 6" ports that I made for my tablesaw and jointer.

100_4624.jpg

View image in gallery

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
From what I've read here on the forum (I've not used an HF DC before myself) that DC may not be powerful enough to use with a lot of permanent ductwork, especially at 6". I think you might get better results using a shorter length of 4" flex hose and some quick connects so you can just attach it directly to whatever machine you're using.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
From what I've read here on the forum (I've not used an HF DC before myself) that DC may not be powerful enough to use with a lot of permanent ductwork, especially at 6". I think you might get better results using a shorter length of 4" flex hose and some quick connects so you can just attach it directly to whatever machine you're using.

First, I need to correct myself; the inlet duct size on the impeller housing is 5" not the 6" that I thought so I am only going to use 5" hose. I am making the assumption that with the Wynn filter and a 5" hose (since it is the same size as the intake port) that will give me maximum volume and velocity. Second, my shop is my 2-gar garage so I don't get the luxury of permanent duct-work which in this case may be a blessing as I will just stick 5" flex to each machine as needed.

Please let me know your thoughts on this setup plan.

Thanks.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
First, I need to correct myself; the inlet duct size on the impeller housing is 5" not the 6" that I thought so I am only going to use 5" hose. I am making the assumption that with the Wynn filter and a 5" hose (since it is the same size as the intake port) that will give me maximum volume and velocity. Second, my shop is my 2-gar garage so I don't get the luxury of permanent duct-work which in this case may be a blessing as I will just stick 5" flex to each machine as needed.

Thanks.

I think that will work though you might want to just stick with 4" hose and fittings as they are much more readily available.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Thanks.

Since you have a 5" inlet on your DC, and most of your machines probably have 4" outlets, you're going to need a reducer at some point, either at the DC or at each machine. I would strongly suggest one reducer at the DC inlet, dropping it from 5" down to 4". Or you could buy multiple reducers and attach them to each machine, and keep the 5" hose attached to your DC. But as Travis has pointed out, 4" hose is much more common (and easier to find) than 5".

moz-screenshot-3.png
952-949.jpg

At this point I'm not sure if I'm helping, or just adding to the confusion. :wsmile:

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS