50 cal pen commision

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
This is gonna be a long story no matter how I tell it so here goes :

A couple months ago I got a PM from admin ( Tracy ) saying they had heard from someone who was interested in having me make a pen and wanting my info. Our admins have always been good stewards of our privacy ( for which I am eternally grateful :icon_thum ) and sent me the requester's contact info rather than release mine.
Turns out an active duty service member had stumbled across my 50 cal pen holder project pics and wanted one for their CO . Her name is Melissa Gibson and she is a Gunners Mate 1st Class assigned to the USS Monterey CG 61 stationed in VA Beach. She has 13 years of active duty. We bounced some ideas around and one of them was that she would like for me to use a shell actually fired from the ship and would also like to have it engraved. In addition she wanted the tip in Navy blue and gold. I agreed to do it, gave a rough idea of the cost and my address to send the shell. Some 2 weeks later I wrote that I had not received the shell yet and was concerned as VA Beach is not very far away. Her casual response “ Oh we’re hanging out in the Middle East and it might take it a little time to get there “ :eek:. Seems they are on a 6 month deployment and the pen is for the captain of the ship! :swoon: You could have knocked me over with a feather!
The package finally arrives and it seems a little heavy and I found out why when I opened it. Along with the shell was a ship’s coin commemorating the operation, the coin for the helicopter support group assigned to the ship and a ship’s t-shirt also commemorating the operation with dates and such. :icon_cheers Blew me away.( pics later ) Here she is bustin her chops every day to help keep us free and she sends ME gifts!
The engraving was something I could not do myself so I posted here and got lots of good info along with a offer from smallboat ( Steve ) to help me out with some laser work. I sent him the shell and some practice shells and he went to work while I proceeded to make the project. He provided me lay-outs and font choices and just really did a bang-up job. :icon_thum Steve even graciously provided the time, talent and materials for zero dollars in honor of the captain’s service. :notworthy:
It all came together this weekend and here is the finished product ready to be shipped to the deep blue on Monday. The recess in the base ( Thanx Fred :eusa_clap) is covered in felt and will hold the ship's command coin.

4mel.jpg

View image in gallery

4mel2.jpg

View image in gallery

4mel3.jpg

View image in gallery

4mel4.jpg

View image in gallery

This has been an extremely satisfying project. My design. Walnut and cedar. I turned the barrel and pedestals myself and used the scroll saw to build the gun body and handle. Besides the honor of creating something that will most likely grace the desk or shelf of a Navy captain, I have also thoroughly enjoyed exchanging e-mails with GM1 Gibson and learning about day-to-day life on a ship during deployment. I sent a care package with some pens and calling cards to her and her best buds and it just all in all has been a real treat. If you’re interested, look up the USS Monterey and specifically Capt Jim Kilby. He has quite an impressive record. It goes without saying that I have already been paid for this project many times over and as such it will be delivered for no monetary charge.

Thanx for lookin :mrgreen:

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Robert, you are a true artist.....very creative. I'm sure this is something the captain will treasure for the rest of his life. Very generous thing you did. I tip my hat to you. :eusa_clap :eusa_danc

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome work there Robert!

Great story and I will bet that they will really appreciate your work and your big heart.

Congrats on a job well done!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Wayne

cskipper

Cathy
You did a superb job on that project and I'm sure he will treasure it for years to come@ :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Your story-telling ability is as good as always and made me proud to know you, and through you, them. :notworthy:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Way cool

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
None of this is a surprise to any of us that have had the good fortune to know you Robert...but, being me, I had one thought as I read the story...........

Did they send you a large enough shirt? :rotflm::gar-La;:rotflm::gar-Bi:rotflm::gar-La;:rotflm:

In all seriousness, we know that you had to be a big dude to house the huge heart you have. Very proud to know you & call you friend. This undoubtedly will be a treasured memento, not just for the Capt. but for all involved. Good on ya bro! :thumbs_up:banana:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Awesome work of art as usual bro.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Brian.

sawduster

New User
Robert
None of this is a surprise to any of us that have had the good fortune to know you Robert...but, being me, I had one thought as I read the story...........

Did they send you a large enough shirt? :rotflm::gar-La;:rotflm::gar-Bi:rotflm::gar-La;:rotflm:

It's funny you should mention that bro :slap:.....I thought the same thing as I pulled it from the box. It was a 3X :icon_cheers I'm guessing maybe she looked through my gallery and saw that I was a little bit
" portly " :rotflm:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
It's funny you should mention that bro :slap:.....I thought the same thing as I pulled it from the box. It was a 3X :icon_cheers I'm guessing maybe she looked through my gallery and saw that I was a little bit
" portly " :rotflm:

Hey bro, I'm only one "X" behind ya, and I'm a lot shorter. Reminded of something about "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"... :rotflm:

I still stand behind the need for a large vessel for your 3X heart :eusa_clap as proven here.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Thank you for sharing your story, it is a real "feel good" story! Please share with us any responses you get once the pen is delivered!

Donn

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
God bless you, Robert. You are not only a very talented artist, but very generous to boot. :icon_thum
Thanks for showing some of our service members we really do appreciate the sacrifices they make for us.
Nice job on the project. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Take care,

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hey Bro, they could not have asked a better man!!! That is a wonderful story and a treat to see the job that you have done. It is an honor and privilege to know you and to call you BROTHER. Please keep us informed of any correspondence with The Gunners Mate that you can and pass along our thanks for their service. Great Job, Bro. Steve

navy1990

New User
Matt
Robert, as a former Navy man, I salute your abilities and your gift. I think that pen and stand is amazing. The colors are all perfect and the CO will be blown away. Great job, shipmate, for taking care of our men and women in uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS