5-Cut method for table saw and miter saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on another woodworking forum and a post referred to checking how square the cuts were on a table saw and miter saw by using the 5-cut method.

I could not find an explanation of the 5-cut method. For some time I have used a three cut on a 15 by 15 and then measured corner to corner to see if square.

Can someone help me understand 5-cut as I am always looking for better ideas.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Wood Whisperer has a good video that shows the method.
It worked for me when I did my crosscut sled.

I usually don't have the patience to watch a video (prefer to read) but this one is well done.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Its a great technique but is it really necessary to get it THAT close?
I tried doing it and found I got wrapped up in dialing it in to perfection.
I finally realized getting that anal about it was unnecessary waste of time.

I mean, 1/64th over 12" how much closer to you need to get?

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Its a great technique but is it really necessary to get it THAT close?
I tried doing it and found I got wrapped up in dialing it in to perfection.
I finally realized getting that anal about it was unnecessary waste of time.

I'm a machinest where perfection in milling is a must.......right on down to the ten thousandths of an inch. My wood working equipment is setup +/-.001 thousands of an inch to square as are my jigs. If I cut a square, it's square. If I cut 45 degree angle, it's 45 degree's. Does it make a difference in your project? You ain't whistling Dixie.

Rick M

New User
Rick
The best explanation is a video by the guy who developed 5 cut. His name is on the tip of my tongue, but if you google it should be easy to find.
-- Rick M

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The best explanation is a video by the guy who developed 5 cut. His name is on the tip of my tongue, but if you google it should be easy to find.
-- Rick M

I think it's William Ng. The math is confusing but he explains it pretty well. Stop, rewind, and think about it. The 5th cut is the definitive one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbG-n--LFgQ

I'm thinking about how to show that but haven't figured out how to do that with a 12" x 12" board to show the cumulative error after the 5th cut. Maybe SkethUp can help. ???

Rick M

New User
Rick

For the most part I agree although it really does depend on what you are making. With furniture, a hair out of square is nothing, most traditional furniture designs account for that. Heck they were originally built by guys with handsaws. But on other things it matters. It really boils down to, "an ounce of prevention is worth ..." A lot of it too are people from other disciplines like engineering and metalworking who are taking an interest in woodworking. Look at Matthias Wandel and the interesting stuff he is doing with wood. And to your point, Wandel is sometimes making precision machines with basic tools. The Norm way is measure twice, cut once. The Underhill way is don't measure at all, or "measurement is the enemy of precision" is how I think he put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS