5.2 MM "Birch" underlayment at Lowes

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Tuesday, I was in Lowes looking for birch plywood for some cabinet backs. They had 5.2 MM birch for about $20 a sheet. In the next rack was "luan" underlayment for $10.99 a sheet. It had birch veneer on both sides. Of course the back side was trash, but the front side was first class.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
I know you travel to Lowes in all the counties around Wake County, so share with us which Loews this was. Thanks. I could use some cheap wood for cabinet backs.

Bob

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
My friend Google says 5.2 millimeters = 0.204724409 inches

Aren't that sorta skimpy for a cabinet back? Maybe, for a rack stop it would work nicely. I've seen a few racks that stopped me in my tracks at the beach.

Course, if it was 0.2047244095, it might work OK.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Howya get yer dado set t' go that low? Mine only goes to 0.204724408 inches. I'm afraid I couldn't get it t' slide in th' groove.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I got a sheet at the Concord store a few weeks ago. You have to pick through the lasagna but very nice. Makes good cabinet backs for painted cabinets.

As far as dado blade set up I just used the 2 outside dado blades and adjusted the height of the blades until it fit perfectly in the back edge rabbet. I probably woudn't use this stuff in a situation where it needed to be dado'd (like a shelf) unless you're making dollhouse furniture:mrgreen:.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Plywood was in Lowes in Apex. I don't do the groove thing, but if I did, I would use two 7 1/4" saw blades with a spacer between them to create the proper width groove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS