4x5 Camera project; first box joint!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I've taken up projects for strange reasons before, but this is one of the strangest! I wanted a camera for my restored wooden tripod, but I failed to win the Ebay auction for a 1902 Premo that I really wanted (I'd had a 1905 4x5 Premo when I was a teen in the 1960's). I responded by deciding to build a 4x5 camera; it would have to look "old-timey", to go with the wooden tripod. I ordered a film-holder, a used view-camera bellows, and a very old Kodak lens and shutter (still waiting on delivery for the lens and shutter) on Ebay, and just "jumped in" as is usual on so many projects I take up.

Here's a general view of work so far; I think the front frame is mahogany, the lens-standard is oak, and the lens-board birch ply:

DSCF28381.JPG

Side view with the bellows extended; I get about 15 inches from the front of the lens board to the focal plane at an easy full extension.

DSCF28401.JPG

Here's the "Engineer's prototype" rear end, to test the setup and work out the hardware and construction techniques required for the finished pieces (proper flat-springs I will grind from a broken 1/2" band-saw blade):

DSCF2842.JPG

And here's the close view of one corner of the box-joint, done on the router table with the basic key-pin and miter fence technique (a little rough, but it's only my first try!):

DSCF2843.JPG

The difficult parts are yet to come; the flat-frame bed, and the positioning mechanisms. Surprisingly, there's a goodly sized crowd now building their own large format cameras (thanks to the world wide web), up to 16 x 20 in some instances! Considering the cost of a brand new Deardorf camera, I can appreciate the economy as well as the fun of a do-it-yourself camera.

Regards, John

Last edited:

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Box joints!!! Nice. These were my first joints because I was so scared of the angles of dovetails. Little did I know they were so much harder than dovetails. Well done.

(Note: I now have progressed to the point that I can do both in equally incompetent fashion.)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice work as always, John. I have a 1955 Burke & James aluminum body 4 x 5 with revolving back and drop front.
I used to make some very nice 30 x 40 prints and enjoyed doing the darkroom work as much as the location shots.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
John, you have waaaaaaaaay more patience than I have. Based on some of your previous work, I know the finished product will be incredible.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
That is an awesome project. I hope it all works well when completed.

Red

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you were closer I'd invite you over to see the two antique cameras that I have sitting in a box. They were given to me back in the 70's. Have no idea what they are except that one of them uses glass negatives. Guess I should dig them out and see what I actually have.

awldune

Sam
User
If you were closer I'd invite you over to see the two antique cameras that I have sitting in a box. They were given to me back in the 70's. Have no idea what they are except that one of them uses glass negatives. Guess I should dig them out and see what I actually have.

Take some photos and I could help you ID them.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
The camera project is moving along; not completed yet, but basically functional now. Some minor additions and corrections will be done as they come up. The camera is not based on any particular camera, and the overall style is dictated by the bellows I purchased used (did not know then there is an easy way to make a functional bellows, else the design would have gone in a different direction) Here's some pix of the camera to date:

DSCF2854.JPG

Rear View; redwood for back (only because it was the only piece large enough; I do not recommend redwood for something like this). Ground glass holder is walnut.

DSCF2855.JPG

Side view:

DSCF2856.JPG

View showing the spring-clips that secure the convertible back.

DSCF2857.JPG

"New" lens and shutter: f/ 4.5 7inch Conley anastigmat in Wollensak Optimo shutter (manufactured from 1909 to 1930); this is a heavy piece, weighing in at 1.1 pounds!

DSCF2861.JPG

Will be able to take some pix soon!

Regards, John

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
John,
That is REALLY neat!
I hope you post some of the pictures you take with it when it is complete!

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
This is an interesting project - agree with Jim that it would be nice to get an idea of how it works when done (for those of us in the dark).

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is an interesting project - agree with Jim that it would be nice to get an idea of how it works when done (for those of us in the dark).

(for those of us in the dark):rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS