45-degree zero clearance insert

Status
Not open for further replies.

nblong

New User
Bruce
Anyone have a good way to cut a 45-degree kerf in a left-tilt table saw zero clearance insert? I can't retract the blade far enough for the insert to fit in the throat at all; it just rocks on top of the blade. I tried resting it on a couple of thin slats laid at right angles across the throat with a 2x4 clamped down over it to hold it in place while I raised the blade but no joy. The pieces I'm cutting are too tall to use my miter gauge with the blade at 90 degrees and I don't have nearly enough skill to use a hand saw.

RayH

New User
Ray
Not very elegant, but I used a 7 1/4 inch blade (from my circular saw) to start the cut. Then put the 10 inch blade back on to finish it. I have never been accused of being elegant.:nah:

Good luck,
Ray

Sully

New User
jay
You can put a circular saw blade on your table saw to make the initial cut. Since most circular saw blades are thinner kerf than table saw blades, you may have to make two cuts with the circular saw blade. On the second cut, shim the blade out slightly with some shims from a dado set.

Edit: LOL, I see that me and Ray were replying at the same time with the same idea.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
My saw has 1/2" thick inserts (Ridgid TS3650) and blade only drops 1/4 " below table top. I have used all three methods mentioned to make ZCIs. If you are using a full kerf blade, the outside dado cutter is the way to go. If thin kerf, use the circular saw blade if you have one that is the same thickness. If not, route a 1/2" wide dado 1/4" deep in the bottom of the insert with the right side even with the right side of the blade at 90 degree vertical. This gives enough clearance to bevel the blade and run it up through the ZCI. If you don't have a router, plow the slot with your existing blade (moving it over each cut to give you enough width) or with a dado set. It does not have to be a stopped dado, and can go the entire length of the insert.

HTHs

Go

PS: If you set up the router or dado blade to make the dado, do all your blank inserts at one time so you don't have to mess with it later when making another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors