4" belt sander

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have not used my 4" belt sander a lot over the years but have bought different brands of belts a number of times. I just received 3 80 grit belts with directional arrows on the inside of the belt. I have never seen this before. Am I missing something?

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Keye, the way some belts are made the joint would catch on the material if the belt were to run the wrong way, hence the arrow.

Roy G

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The arrows indicate which way to install the belts. The belts should travel in the direction of the arrows. It has to do w/ the glue seam.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
OK, next dumb question. Could all the other belts I have bought been put on running in either direction? The reason I ask is because some older belts, maybe 10 years old, have been coming apart at the seam. I just figured it is because the adhesive has failed due to age. I have run them with the seam angled in the direction of rotation and opposite the direction of rotation and it has not made a differernce. These belts are a good quality from a company we all know.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I've had the adhesive fail due to age, even on brand new belts that have sat on my shelf for too many years. So now I don't buy more than I need at the time. The ones that do fail make good material for your sanding blocks!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes age matters. Storing in cool temperature controlled environment will help some.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Most belts are bi directional, so how you put them on usually is not the issue. Most of the time, moisture and bad storage cause issues.
One thing I have noticed if they get bent or twisted in storage the edge will catch on the machine and Boom ! the belt comes apart.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Thanks for the replies. The belts will not go to waster. I have a small 4" palm sander so all I have to do it cut it to length. I am also cutting strips on an angle to use in tight spots.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS