30" wide planer or widebelt sander use needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolferone

New User
Tom
I have a 12' long 30" wide 3" thick southern yellow pine bench to I would like to take about 1/8" off of. Any leads on something that large in the area?
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1807.jpg
    IMG_1807.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 335

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
No leads to help, but I'm trying to imagine how much that top weighs!

I wish you the the best in locating a suitable planer or drum/belt sander. If you get no leads there is always the option of leveling and thicknessing with a router and sled, though it will take some time for a top that large.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Not sure if you are looking to buy or a favor but Garland Woodcraft in Durham can sand that for you. They have a 36" wide sander. I have taken several projects to them. Good people to work with.
Bob

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
You really need to take that to a local millwork company and have them send it through a planer for 1/8". A sander works in thousandths--it would take a long time to sand 1/8th off. Plane first then sand to take planer marks out. Just my reco.

Jerry

PS-----Scott Smith can probably do that

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check with Scott Smith - he has a 40" planer I believe. And the equipment to handle that thing. Scsmith42 here.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I would think a #5 Stanley with a cambered iron and a sharp jointer plane would be easier and quicker than hauling that beast around to have it done.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No leads to help, but I'm trying to imagine how much that top weighs!

A kiln dried 2 x 4 x12' should be about 16#, so 320 # total.

BTW, +1 to Scott Smith (scsmith42).

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have a 12' long 30" wide 3" thick southern yellow pine bench to I would like to take about 1/8" off of. Any leads on something that large in the area?
attachment.php

Tom, I'm good for 25" through my Oliver jointer/planer, 72" through the sawmill planer, and 37" through the wide belt sander. The only problem with the sawmill planer is that it is very slow (and thus costly).

We can set up some 24 grit in the WBS and hog it down, but the problem with SYP in the sander is that the sap clogs the belts really badly and we have to charge for cleaning the belt.

As Jerry and others recommended, a planer would be best.

Bill Keck at Raleigh Reclaimed has a wide planer and should be able to plane that for you. His number is 919.703.7000. He is in NW Raleigh

Mark Kegler also has a wide planer in downtown Raleigh and can plane it. Mark can be reached at 919.608.7220

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
What's it being used for? If it was a workshop bench I'd just go after it with a belt sander and coarse to finer grit belts followed by a ROS. SYP will sand very easily. If it's for something finer then I'd go for the shop planer.

cfield60

jeff
User
Once you have the router sled guide rails in place, which will take some time, the surfacing would not take much time imho.

toolferone

New User
Tom
Sorry I am late in replying to this. I contacted Mark Kegler @ Mark's suggestion. Took it to him and we got it sanded. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors