30,000 BTU 5-Plaque Natural Gas Radiant Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Is this a Good deal?

If so I will be getting it tomorrow. Just don't want to rush into buying a Radiat heater as they are also known as a infared heater and only heat the objects in front of it. But then again $35 is way in my price range.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/hsh/1873325818.html

30,000 BTU 5-Plaque Natural Gas Radiant Heater - $35 (Bountiful)

Date: 2010-07-31, 10:53AM MDT
Reply to: sale-ukwjm-1873325818@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

30,000 BTU 5-Plaque Natural Gas Radiant Heater. Similar to photo but in black. Photo is newer model with thermostat but ours has 3 constant on heat settings; 1, 3, and 5 plaque.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3n43o33lc5Y45X35R1a7vc7d14bf6c3511924.jpg

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have one of those in my shop, and love it, but mine has thermostat. By heating objects, instead of the air, it means if you can see the plaques, YOU feel the heat. This means you don't have to wait a couple hours for shop to heat up. Don't let the idea of heating objects fool you though. It also heats the air. That is why mine is mounted near my hanging air cleaner. The air cleaner circulates the hot air around the shop. Even when the shop is in the upper forties, I'm comfortable. Bruce

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Thanks Bruce,

Well I found out that it's not a MR Heater it's a Glo-Warm model FA-5?

Couldn't find any reviews on it. It's a 1997 model.

Also Charlie broght up a good point. I don't have any insulation in the roof, the 2x4's are exposed and we get about 1-3' of snow here in logan. And he said that I may get a lot of condensation from the roof. I sure don't want the roof to drip on any power tools.

What do you think?

dlrion

New User
Dan
Charlie has a point...

... but what else are you going to do? You are pretty much limited to a ventless system, natural gas, and propane, both create water vapor.

Unless your landlord will let you install a chimney, I think that is about the best system you are going to find in Utah, If it were me I would jump all over that!!

If you are really worried about water vapor dripping from the ceiling, get a de-humidifier.

But I would run it a bit to see how it works first, you may not need it.

Dan

p.s. comparable heaters sell for $250 out here.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dehumidfier won't work. Roof covered in snow is going to be colder than evaporator in dehumidifier. Condensation is going to occur on the exposed ends of nails in the shingles first. I know. Several l years back, I did a bunch of work for a town home complex. One owner complained that his roof leaked at the nails, but only on the north side. They were using walk up attic to dry clothes. Because exposed ends of nails were colder than anything else in the attic, water condensed there, and dripped down, thus the leaking nails.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Dan,

I did jump all over it. It is from what he said a 1997 model. It looked in good shape, but no way to tell if it worked. It sure is much much larger than I thought it would be.

The garage does have a vent on top of the roof, and the inside vents diameter looks like it is either a 6" or 8" opening. So I guess I could pipe a chimney to that? But I am sure I won't find anything for close to $34???

I can work in 55 degree temps, but prefer at least 60 degress. Not sure if that matters as much for the condensation forming? I don't want to ruin the roof or my tools.

Matthew

dlrion

New User
Dan
It may or may not happen... cross your fingers!

If it does, then maybe some insulation is in order... you could do this really easily, and temporarily with some deer netting stapled to the rafters, and blow in insulation.

like I say... cross your fingers...

Dan

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Will do for sure. I cross my fingers a lot ya know~!

Deer netting, like the stuff you use to hold a deers carcase?

Is that cheap, along with the blown in insulation?

Have you insulated your shop at all? Or you still just going to use the Mailbox burner?

dlrion

New User
Dan
HA! funny you should mention that!

The mailbox went to the recyclers today, along with some other junk metal.

I have a new system in the works... but until I get it working, you will have to wait and see...

needless to say much safer, more powerful, and cheaper than the mailbox!

Deer netting like chicken wire, but plastic... and blow in insulation... maybe $50 to $100 for how big you want it.... If you have a vent though, I would bet you will be fine!

Dan

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
On the bottom of the roof you need a water barrier, or the wood will get wet and rot

Charlie,

Recommended I put heavy mil plastic on the 2x4's and then put the foam with the silver shiney backing towards the inside of the shop. Will that work as a water barrier?

And why won't the heat just escape through the vent and not accumulate on the osb ceiling?

Should I have just gotten a vented type and made a duct going up to the vent in the ceiling?

O r should I just cross my fingers like Dan said~! :eusa_pray

dlrion

New User
Dan
Charlie and Earl are probably right....

Hey this just occurred to me... what sort of tank do you have? And do you realize that it is against Utah building code to have a tank in a garage?

When I was in living in Mexico, one guy accidentally lit the boiler... and then the tank on fire... and it took off like a 4th of july rocket, right through the concrete wall.. at 6:00 in the morning...

THAT will wake you up!

Dan

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Charlie and Earl are probably right....

Hey this just occurred to me... what sort of tank do you have? And do you realize that it is against Utah building code to have a tank in a garage?

When I was in living in Mexico, one guy accidentally lit the boiler... and then the tank on fire... and it took off like a 4th of july rocket, right through the concrete wall.. at 6:00 in the morning...

THAT will wake you up!

Dan

No tank Dan,

You forget I'm in Utah, We have Natural gas everywhere. :rotflm: Ha ha. No seriously I have a connection from the back of my townhouse, that I will need to get some measurements for and run some black pipe from it to my garage 11' away, running it along side of the fence, as to not be in the middle of the patio.

When we first got here it was COLD and I thought our heating bill was going to be outrageous because Rachel was FREZZING and had to have the heat high. Well a month went by and it was a mere $32. This whole summer with no heat, just the water heater being heated from NG. it was only $9 to $14. Woooo Hooo :banana:

Thanks~!

dlrion

New User
Dan
Townhouses are great that way.... you get all the insulation from your neighbors on both sides, and they are usually built pretty warm.

I will be paying more in Goldsboro, than you will in Logan....

Lucky you.

Dan

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I was paying more for electric out in Goldsboro, Summer and Winter than I am her for electric and Natural gas. Crazy huh

PS I am on a out side unit, So I am only connected to one wall of insulation/heat from the other town house and he's a guy. So I doubt he'll have his heat cranked up.

The garage is the same way. Only one wall connected. It's the wall with the sheet rock. Not sure if it has insulation underneath it. Would be nice though.

May just do what Earl did and put up that closed cell foam. He said it was about $100. Not too bad huh.

Oh and just so you know, for the NC folks Utah only gets about 40% humidity. So not sure if I'll have that much condensation here. And not sure if the humidity rises here during the winter. But our snow is very fluffy. Not slushy, unless the sun is out to melt it.

Yes luck me, And lucky you~! You get way better deals on Hardwoods, and have all the awesome NCWW close to you~!

Matthew

Don Alexander

New User
Don
don't need high humidity to get condensation

cold air meeting warm surface or warm air meeting cold surface will generate condensation
pretty much in any climate you just get a higher volume of it when its really humid as opposed to not very humid :gar-Bi

also since heat rises insulating the ceiling is pretty much essential to prevent serious heat loss

wondering about how i'm going to heat the shop here this winter without breaking the piggy bank :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS