3 Piece 2'' x 6'' Diamond Hone Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Don't know about the block set, but the three piece set isn't even worth what they are charging. The grit on the ones I got were inconsistent, the plastic base plates are flexible, but not really flat, so you can't use them for anything critical like a chisel or plane iron, and unless you use oil, they will rust severely and quickly.

JMTCW

Go

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I can only comment with regard to the Grizzly version of what you posted, which I purchased probably 7 years ago. Their grit was consistent over the entire surface (no irregularities like I have seen in some other variations).

The concern about bending is valid and if you use a typical jig for chisel or plane iron sharpening -- the style with a wheel - you will roll the plates into a nice gentle cuve (essentially the roller will work just the same on the steel plate as it would a piece of sheet metal). However, you can build a simple jig out of a piece of heavy plate glass and a few pieces of 1/16" brass, aluminum or stainless sheetmetal to hold the diamond plates truly flat, which does allow for precise sharpening. I can post a photo of such if anyone is interested.

What I can not say, is whether today's version is of comparable quality to what I purchased 7 years ago... and Harbor Freight quality is often at the bottom of the barrel (they may carry the same merchandise as found elsewhere, but HF's is more likely to contain seconds and discards that some of their higher-priced competitors would have passed on).

KC7CN

New User
Don
Happy New Year everyone! I spotted this set of Diamond Hone Blocks in the local HF store and wondered if anyone has used this product or one like it. Would this be suitable for a plane blade!

3 Piece 2'' x 6'' Diamond Hone Blocks

An alternative (on line) is a four sided block version: 4-Sided Diamond Hone Block

-Don

Don't know about the block set, but the three piece set isn't even worth what they are charging. The grit on the ones I got were inconsistent, the plastic base plates are flexible, but not really flat, so you can't use them for anything critical like a chisel or plane iron, and unless you use oil, they will rust severely and quickly.

JMTCW

Go

Thanks for sharing your experience Gofor! I suspected that might be the case - can't recall anyone ever commenting about this being a HF Gem.

That's a nice looking set of stones! I will need to follow that up with something to keep them flat; my old stones are just short of a pothole! Thanks for the link Mike!

I can only comment with regard to the Grizzly version of what you posted, which I purchased probably 7 years ago. Their grit was consistent over the entire surface (no irregularities like I have seen in some other variations).

The concern about bending is valid and if you use a typical jig for chisel or plane iron sharpening -- the style with a wheel - you will roll the plates into a nice gentle cuve (essentially the roller will work just the same on the steel plate as it would a piece of sheet metal). However, you can build a simple jig out of a piece of heavy plate glass and a few pieces of 1/16" brass, aluminum or stainless sheetmetal to hold the diamond plates truly flat, which does allow for precise sharpening. I can post a photo of such if anyone is interested.

What I can not say, is whether today's version is of comparable quality to what I purchased 7 years ago... and Harbor Freight quality is often at the bottom of the barrel (they may carry the same merchandise as found elsewhere, but HF's is more likely to contain seconds and discards that some of their higher-priced competitors would have passed on).

Some good information here too! I have very little experience using stones, and no experience flattening them - this is the reason I was interested in using a diamond plate for sharpening plane blades! I'll look on the Grizzly site to see if they still carry them. Thank you!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Don,

Those are solid steel plates in my link. You won't have to do anything to keep them flat. Those are often used to keep other stones flat. I have a larger set like those and have used them a lot over 6 years, they are still flat and still cut as well as new. You get what you pay for and these will outlast several sets of those plastic ones.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Don,

Those are solid steel plates in my link. You won't have to do anything to keep them flat. Those are often used to keep other stones flat. I have a larger set like those and have used them a lot over 6 years, they are still flat and still cut as well as new. You get what you pay for and these will outlast several sets of those plastic ones.

Mike - I looked at that link again! I didn't look close enough the first time! I assumed they were high quality stone in a custom wooden box. Thank you for the clarification!

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS