2nd Free Sharpening Workshop Feb. 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This will be at Bill's shop in Liberty.

I have the following members listed for this work shop.

James Davis
James Davis from Roxboro, NC

JCraig
Jerry from Greensboro, NC

cptully
Chris from Raleigh, NC

ScottM
Scott from Littleton, NC

Berta
Roberta from Cameron, NC

Bill Clemmons
Bill from Liberty, NC

decibel
Patrick from Charlotte, NC

Rob
Rob from Sanford, NC

milleo
Oak from Raleigh, NC

RonJ103
Jeremy from Greensboro, NC

nelsone
Ed from Charlotte, NC

Jerome
JB from Mebane, NC

Is this list correct or do you want a different month/location?

If you like guides or feel you need one I will help you learn and or decide which is best for you. I have a few and know how to make some, I just rather go freehand.

If anyone is interested I could put together a couple different packages for purchase at the workshop.

And I will ask now if there is any particular tool or technique you would like to try?

Please bring any tools you want to sharpen, jigs or machines you want to practice or learn and a broad tip magic marker. Last time we took some pretty rough hand planes and got them up to shaving sharp and tuned up. Not pretty but good working condition.

Any other questions?

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks again for doing this Mike! I'm really looking forward to it.

A few questions.

1) What's the schedule, particularly planned stop/start times?
2) Should we pack a lunch, are we eating out, or are we doing a potluck type thing?

Thanks!

Travis

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Start about 10 am go to 4 pm or later if you still have questions.

Bring cash to chip in on Pizza and drinks (or other take out). Subject to change...

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
1) What's the schedule, particularly planned stop/start times?
2) Should we pack a lunch, are we eating out, or are we doing a potluck type thing?

Good questions Travis. As we get closer to the date I'll PM directions to everyone. I'm kinda out in the country. As for lunch, as Mike said, we talked about taking up a collection and I'll run into town and grab some pizzas and drinks.

Mike, I'm particularly interested in sharpening rounded tools: turning gouges, curved chisels, etc., but any sharpening tips will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Bill's shop in Liberty? Who is Bill, and more importantly, where is Liberty? Can you PM me an address and I will mapquest it.

Found Bill, found Liberty, will still need and address.

Last edited:

Rob

New User
Rob
Liberty is just north of Sanford, up 421 about an hour from my house. Great shop to visit.

I'm mostly interested in flat plane blades, I'll bring a couple as well as my Japanese water stones.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill's shop in Liberty? Who is Bill, and more importantly, where is Liberty? Can you PM me an address and I will mapquest it.

Found Bill, found Liberty, will still need and address.

Berta, I'll PM the address and directions to everyone about a week before the workshop. I'm waiting until then in case the list of attendees changes.

Bill

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I think I have one, or something similar. Traded for it to help with my lathe tools. Haven't gotten around to needing it yet as I've still not gotten around to fixing the lathe. I'll bring it along....

Travis

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am still in. I have a grinder and wolverine setup I could bring is you need one.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That would be great Scott. We may not need it but I was so impressed with Cody's Wolverine that I think everyone should see one in action.

I will be ordering one as soon as we can afford it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Could any of you Raleigh area guys do a pony express for me? Just pick up an item From Eyekode and bring it on the 19th?

Rob

New User
Rob
If we can get it to Sanford, I'll bring it. How large is it? Can it fit in a car?

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Mike. I thought I had put my name down to join in, but I don't see my post. Is this session full? No problem if it is, but if there's room I'd like to join!

lottathought

New User
Michael
GREAT NEWS-Good News-Bad News Time....

A lot has been been going on around my house. And now is a good time to tell the story. You may be asking yourself...Why is he telling the story in this Thread?..That will become evident soon.

Backing up to Christmas Dinner...
We went to my parents house for Christmas Dinner. My wife got very sick later that night...and made an insane comment about food poisoning for dinner. :elvis:
To know my mother's cooking is to understand what blasphemy this comment is. And 2 days later, my wife was still sick and still blaming the cooking. So she went to the doctor.......and came home with a sonogram. :eek:ccasion1
I have warned her that if she does not apologize for the cooking comments, it will be triplets. :gar-Bi

About this time in December, I got moved to a new department at work. In fact, almost my entire department got moved as my old group was sent to Manila. It was this or layoffs.
I was not happy about that move..not happy at all...but something happened this past Friday.

We were figuring out the new schedules for the new department. My old schedule was weekdays.
If I had stayed in that department, then when the baby is born, we were going to have to decide if my wife should continue to work or stay home. Being that infant childcare starts at $1200/month, it might not have made much sense to keep her working. BTW...we are ALL in the wrong business and I am really considering the whole Daddy Daycare right now.
My wife teaches for public school and also teaches a night class 4 nights a week.

And with the new schedule, I have managed to get almost my entire 40 hours/week set up to be worked on the weekends....allowing my wife to keep both her jobs and not have to put either child in daycare. :banana::banana::banana:

That new schedule starts this coming week though and that means I can not be at the sharpening class. :BangHead:

So I am off to figure out how many infants it takes to become a millionaire. And I will have to give my slot to the next person in line.

And BTW.....when you hear the Lord works in mysterious ways..believe it. :notworthy:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, Ed I guess you can have February if you want to change.

Congratulations on the major life changes Michael!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS