25yr old gettin started with my shop

Sawdust fanatic

New User
Mike
Hey guys! First time posting, lots of knowledge on these forums! Recently just moved to Camp Lejeune as a Navy FMF Corpsman and bought my first house! Tryin to set up my garage to start learning and gettin into wood work working again. Took woodworking for 4 years in high school and loved it! What tools should I get to start off? I have a huge patio and back yard, so I’ll be making outdoor furniture, couch, loveseat, chairs, table ect.
Ps, if you guys are tryin to get rid of some tools let me know. Scouring Facebook market place and Craigslist.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey Mike,
First let me welcome you to the site. I also recommend that you head over to the Who we are thread and introduce yourself, you will not believe the welcome you will get. Who We Are this will get you there. I also suggest you poke around the threads and explore the site. It will help you find things better.
I’m going to assume you are interested in power tool woodwork more so than hand tools. even then it depends on what you will be building and your budget.
so power tool essentials would be a jointer, a planer, bandsaw, miter saw, a good skill saw or a track saw, power drills and or a drill press. I recommend a good set of chisels say three or four, a mallet or two. At least a block plane and a hand plane all will come in handy. You don’t have to buy all at once. So Id pick a project based on what you have and build one or a few at a time.

Atlasfanatic

New User
Jake
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the move and home purchase. I am in a similar boat, bought my first home a few years ago and have been working on building up a workshop in the garage. The folks on the forum here have been tremendously helpful - ask away with questions.

I would also say when it comes to tools take your time to figure out what you truly need, it can be easy to want to dive in and get a bunch of tools. I’ve found that over time you will get a better feel for which project types you are most interested in and enjoy the most, which will influence the tools you’ll need. Also, fixing up / restoring old tools has been fun for me personally, and gives you a better perspective on what features are important when you go look to buy something new.

In addition to FB marketplace and Craigslist, I’ve found estate sales have been a good source for finding tools. Here’s a website that lets you look for upcoming ones in your area.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
What tools should I get to start off? I have a huge patio and back yard, so I’ll be making outdoor furniture, couch, loveseat, chairs, table ect.
When I started I had no visions of getting into woodworking. I just wanted to make a few things for my patio and restore some second-hand pieces for my spare bedroom. I built some garage cabinets, dog beds, and an outdoor table with just a jigsaw, drill, and 1/3-sheet sander. If I had known more then I would've got a ROS instead.

My first big purchase was a table saw, but if I was starting over again it would be a track saw. They are portable and incredibly versatile.

In addition to Richard's list above I would add a router. I have five now, but the most-used one is a little trim router.

Oh, and clamps.

Last edited:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Plan your project, Mike, determine what tools you have that will do the job. Then decide if you need a new / (new to you) tool to help complete that project. Since you are in the military, try to keep your tools light and mobile as you may need to move them some time in the future.

waitup

New User
Matt
Welcome and dive in headfirst! There are a lot of good people with great knowledge here.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Plan your project, Mike, determine what tools you have that will do the job. Then decide if you need a new / (new to you) tool to help complete that project. Since you are in the military, try to keep your tools light and mobile as you may need to move them some time in the future.
This is exactly how I started. I wanted a small step stool. I bought a jigsaw and sander. Soon after I added a router and router table. I still have that stool!

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Welcome. Im just up the road a piece near Benson.

Be patient. Watch Marketplace and Craigs list for the tools you want. Set a price you are willing to pay for used equipment and when you see one JUMP on it quick as they dont last long. Good deals pop up, but you have to be ready to get in the truck and go.

...and most importantly, buy some raffle tickets for a chance at free tools!!! (see the raffle ticket and picnic posts for more info)

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Come to the picnic. Sometimes there are tools for sale.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Welcome Mike and thank you for your service! As you can see, you already have gotten some good advice. If I was starting all over again, I would only buy my tools off FBmarketplace or Craigslist. The best tools I have all came from FB marketplace at a fraction of the cost of new tools with the obvious caution being to look at the condition of the tool and make sure the price is right by comparison shopping. The right price tools go really fast! A good tablesaw, drill press, orbital sander and some chisels can get you started quickly and cover a lot of application assuming you start with S4S stock. If you want to mill your own stock then a Jointer and planer are a must. Don’t underestimate the value of dust collection and a good dust mask/respirator (even if it is a shop vac and a dust deputy). Then when you are ready to step up your game and as tools pop up, look at a bandsaw, router/router table, belt/disc sander and maybe a nice oscillating sander.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
This is exactly how I started. I wanted a small step stool. I bought a jigsaw and sander. Soon after I added a router and router table. I still have that stool!
Same for me - I would add tools as needed depending on the project. Couldn't afford to buy them all at once!

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Rule of thumb. Anytime you see a clamp at a decent price and you have the spare cash, buy it. But you don't really need clamps to put some pretty good sturdy usable fine looking deck and outdoor furniture together. So work your way up.

The other tools? Get some basics and start putting stuff together and see how far you can get. If you plan well on what and how you need to cut and fasten things you would be surprised on what you can do with just a few power tools in a short time. Circ saw, jig saw, a good workbench and a great drill driver will be enough to get you started and you can very easily add on to that list as you discover what you need for building that next project.

And remember these words...
"No honey. It's not just another tool. You know that <thing that she wants you to build>? I'll need that tool to make this <thing that she wants you to build> the right way."

fjdog

New User
Roland
Hi Mike, welcome to the list and thank you for your service! What is that old saying about opinions? Well, I've got by so far without a jointer due to small shop space - you can use a jointer sled or hand plane to flatten first side. I've never had much luck buying used on CL or FBM...I guess I'm too slow. I have bought a couple items off the For Sale forum in this website and have been happy. Beware of buying junk, because it will just frustrate you and cost you money. As others have posted, good practice is to buy only what you need and not what you think you will need. Good luck and this website is a great resource when you need help!

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
My first big purchase was a table saw, but if I was starting over again it would be a track saw. They are portable and incredibly versatile.

Oh, and clamps.
Agreed, starting out a track saw is great alternative to a table saw. I still don't have a setup table saw (trying to make room for it) in my shop

And you'll never have enough clamps!!

And the best way to get tools is to buy some $5 raffle tickets. Trust me on this :) I know from first hand experience how good a few $5 tickets are at getting new tools.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Mike and thank you for your service!
We are glad you found us and yes you will get lots of help here and if you stick around, contribute what you get out will equal and sometimes eclipse what you put in.

If you have a question... ASK - if you have it someone else does or did and they can benefit from the answer or helping you.

Many people eluded to it, but our annual picnic is coming up and we are raffling over $9300 in prizes, the tickets are only $5 and you can buy them here: NCWW 2023 Raffle

Here is a link to all the amazing prizes and a nod to the donors who we are VERY thankful for: 2023 Raffle Prizes

Please note that this year we will be asking for an RSVP so we can better estimate our food purchase and a few other surprizes!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
You only need the tools that will do the job. Fancy tools just make it easier or faster. Do not fall for any of the " you need these 10 tools" You-Tube videos.
I think it was Rex Kruger who suggested you can do every job there is with a 1/4 inch chisel from cutting down a tree to joinery. It just takes a bit longer.

We love our clamps, but a bit of twine, blue tape, a wedge or two and you can do everything $80 Bessey clamps do. I can't count the number of magic specialty clamps I have tossed. Do you need fancy corner clamps? No, a DIY pinch rod and some twine can make any case square. Finish nails have been the go to clamp since the industrial revolution.

One thing you should consider is if you are going to use Western style tools ( push saw, push planes, tall benches) or Eastern style pull saws, pull planes, low benches. Consider if you want to be a power tool user or a hand tool user or hybrid. I still mostly prepare stock by power, but my joinery and finishing is by hand. I love my $600 3M sander, but for most jobs, my $12 scraper is a better tool.

What do you need? You need a place to work. You need some kind of bench depending on the kind of projects and Eastern or Western tools. You need a way to cut wood, make holes in wood, thickness and smooth wood. You need a way to hold wood. Vise, clamps for Western style, you or your significant other work just as well for Eastern style holding. ( sit on it!) From your list of projects, you could do it all with a jig saw, drill, and sandpaper using Home Despot lumber. Or, you could need a table saw, band saw, jointer, planer, thickness sander, shaper... You NEED eye, ear, and breathing safety protection. Sawdust kills. It takes a long time but it kills.

Oh, please don't buy cheap tools. I don't mean pay insane prices for boutique tools, but too cheap means you will buy again and be frustrated in the work. Some tools are very inexpensive, but still not cheap. Unfortunately, some are expansive and cheap garbage. Some vintage tools are excellent, a lot are trash. Woodworkers actually make a lot of their tools or at least accessories and mods to ones they buy.

FWIW, in hand power, I like Makita, Bosch and Milwaukee. I hate DeWalt. Can't afford Mirka or Festool. Horrible freight tools are disposable, but sometimes that is the right answer. Ridgid lifetime warrantee if a fraud even though the tools are not bad. Roybi is a big step down. WEN makes decent dirt cheap tools. Most of my hand tools are older, but not antique.

But of course, every project needs at least one new tool. :)

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
If you have a question... ASK - if you have it someone else does or did and they can benefit from the answer or helping you.

Oh yes Hank hits it on the head here. He is way right when he says "ASK". This place is an awesome resource to use when you need it.

/even when you don't need it sometimes :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS