250th Segmented Turning

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
250th A.JPG
250th F.JPG

This is my 250th Segmented Turning. I did my 1st in March 2009.
13"H x 15"W - Sapele, Maple - 1376 Pcs.
Thanks for looking. All comments welcome.

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Charley,
This makes me smile. Reminds me of Yaacov Agam's kinetic art.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Charlie,

I will have to accept that I clearly am just a mediocre turner whose pathetic level of talent makes me completely unworthy to comment on any of your pieces.:oops:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am going to ask Santa for one of those for Christmas! While I would prefer to have the talent to make one myself, I know my limits. Beautifully done, Charlie! I think this is a worthy addition to your already phenomenal portfolio of work!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Congratulations on such a large and wonderful body of work.

They used to say it takes 10,000 hours of practice or work to master a skill. Now we know it is more complicated than that with many variables.

Would you say that theory has any merit at all? Can you see a tremendous difference from your first time to number 250?

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the great comments.

Mike, I would say that the theory of 10,000 hours has a lot of merit. I consider myself far from being a master when I compare my work to many others, such as Malcolm Tibbetts, Ray Allen, etc. But hours of practice does improve anyone's skill level. I usually average 40-50 hours a week in my shop so that calculates out to 20,000-25,000 hours during the past 10 years. I can see a vast improvement in my work from my first 19 piece turning to some with as many as 6000+ pieces. Time required to complete a project has been greatly reduced. I would guess by as much as 50%, if I was to do the same turning today that I did years ago.
If I keep practicing long enough I may get it right someday. Lol.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Spectacular!

Speaking of time and hours. Just how long does one like this take you to complete?

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone.

David, I don't keep track of time, but I would guesstimate 45-50 hours.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Happy Sestercentennial Charlie! Do those "Square" things portend you migrating to the dark side?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
And just when I think you couldn't do any better than the last piece you created! You definitely have creativity on the run!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS