1st Time Using Kem Aqua Plus

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
I thought it may be helpful to post my experience with this product.

My customer asked me to construct a hall tree finished in white. No tints, shades or variations from a base white color necessary. After some research and lack of availability of Mohawk products, I figured KA+ Low Gloss White looked like a winner. I purchased it at a SW retail store with a contractors discount for $50 and change tax included.

Equipment used was a 4 stage Fuji Mini Mite Platinum with a 1.3mm tip bottom or suction feed gun.. The PDS reads for HVLP application a tip between .055 and .070 = 1.397 mm and 1.778mm. I have a 1.8mm tip but didn't feel the need to experiment. From prior experience with Mohawk and ML Campbell Aqualente WB products, a smaller tip with high fluid feed seems to work best on my unit.

I did not use a primer. The two primers recommended by SW brings this finish to KCMA Standards, not needed in this case, but probably the same concept as using a Vinyl Sealer under a lacquer. Direct application was over Poplar frames and Birch ply panels.

We got a break from the high humidity and temp was approx 68-75 degrees on a cloudy day. Ideal for WB spray application.

Ford Cup #4 out of the can was about 25 seconds. First coat with limited fluid was a light, almost a dusted coat, to raise the grain and get some rapid drying. I sanded to smooth with 320 grit after about 30 min. though it was dry to the touch within 15. Second coated applied beautifully- almost a easy as solvent based lacquer. I did open the fluid control quite a bit. Flow-out was perfect, no micro bubbles and seemed self leveling. Vertical surfaces did not run either. The third coat was optional but I had some dark streaks in the Poplar that needed an add'l coat.

This product dries quickly in your gun so between each coat, I removed the air cap/nozzle/diffuser set, needle and diaphragm and rinsed with water and blew out with denatured alcohol. It's a pain in the a&& but worth the time.

Overall a great product to use if you are looking to transition to WB from solvent. I'm not sure if this can be used as a base to tint. But I like the depth of color in a pigmented lacquer.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I use this quite a bit. Mostly, because I do not have many choices.

I normally seal the wood, either with their sealer recommended or I will oil/wax, then shellac, then spray the lacquer. No issues with either method. It works well for me

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I agree. I have been very pleased with the product. I do think a primer is helpful and I have used water based Kilz/BIN etc. but I much prefer their Kem Aqua Plus Surfacer. It sprays better. I use a Devilbiss Finishline HVLP primer gun with 1.3 tip for both.

These modern water based products are not the same as latex paint. Kem Aqua Plus leaves a glass smooth and very hard surface if the substrate is smooth. I do the old wet rag to raise the grain and then sand.

About 6 years ago I tried some tinted Kem Aqua. I had the SW tech try to match a blue color. It didn't go well and I was not happy with the result so won't try that again.
Several months ago, the kitchen before the last one, I had to drive out of the county and go to different stores to get the product. I hope that was a temporary situation. Also, it is usually not listed on their website for ordering ahead of time so you have to call for availability.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS