1st Project of Year: New Style Workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
As I do every year around this time, when it's too cold to spend any length of time in shop,

I take an inventory of tools that did not make the grade (just didn't get enough use out of).

They get Craiglisted (receipts gladly given :gar-Bi). Then use money to get new :tool:'s

One item not making the "Cut" :wsmile:, or getting cut from roster, is my workbench.

More accurately, my PARK BENCH. It's just more where things sit, than get used:

work_bench_0021.JPG

It's a great bench, classic in form and function. But, with the type of work I like to do, I really need:gar-La;, something like these:
41hX2VKXgqL_SL500_AA300_1.jpg
41gGWjF7o9L_SL500_AA300_1.jpg

So begins my journey:

To build a custom worktable to better fit my needs. So, I'm attempting to build what I call,

Kreg meets Festool on PEDS. Storage, plus the Kreg and Festool Features all in one bench.

I start out humbly enough, using only items that can be purchased at Big Box, and WW stores.

work_bench_0011.JPG

The list includes:

-1 inch EMT steel tubing (approx 30 ft) Shown in pic are some cut offs

-4 1/2 in washers and nuts ( to be welded onto bottom of EMT, for adustable feet/wheels)

-2 4ft Red Aluminum Extrusions that accommodate T-Track accessories.

-2 4ft holed Angle Iron

-2 2 X 4 ft MDF 3/4 in thick

-Approx 15 ft of Wood for top ( 1in thick X 3in wide) still in design phase

- 4 Double Locking Casters from WC ( Optional)

So far that's all I have accumulated. There may be some misc things, but that should be most of it.

Let's see what I end up with!

Day 1:

Spent approx 5 hrs (leisurely, I take alot of breaks, but bill accordingly:gar-Bi).
Trip to Borg for most of materials.

Spent time Cutting EMT for legs, welding (yes welding) washers to nuts, to bottom of EMT pipe.

Connected the Angle Iron to 2X4 mdf and then to the legs:
Table_2_003.JPG

Table_2_001.JPG

Don't let the "rough" ness fool you, I plan to smooth, prime and paint (T/B shown later during process). Not sure If Im going to Laminate the MDF (white lam) Optional.

Day 2 will be to weld (yes Weld) crossbars, both top and mid/lower for lateral strength.

Now some may ask, why Steel/Mdf ?

The reason Im not building a traditional wooden bench is two fold.

Time and Materials. This Knockdown approach will save me time to work on other more important WWing projects. This, therefore, saves materials for those other projects.

I will post as WIP goes forward.

Thanks for Looking (comments / questions welcome!)

Splint

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now, you really have my curiosity up!:icon_scra

Can you let us in on what the finished size will be? Is there a Sketchup plan you are using?

Plenty of questions, but I can wait to see your progress.

Glad to see that you are back building again. What out for those sparks!:wsmile:

In anxious anticipation....

Wayne

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Keep it coming, Matt. I'm work [STRIKE]bench [/STRIKE]table oriented myself.

Now, you really have my curiosity up!:icon_scra

Can you let us in on what the finished size will be? Is there a Sketchup plan you are using?

Plenty of questions, but I can wait to see your progress.

Glad to see that you are back building again. What out for those sparks!:wsmile:

In anxious anticipation....

Wayne

Joe, will do. Each work day will be documentend w/pics and verb.

Wayne, Literally a WIP, that is to say, as I progress, then I work (around):gar-Bi.
The top will also be MDF 2X4 .75 in. With Wood border (think picture frame, covered with red Aluminum Extrusion). See Kreg & Festool photos.

I will also, fabricate some accessories to aid with functionality. But all this will be revealed as I figure it out.

Just think, right now, ya'll are inside my head :elvis:!

I may ask for design advice. Think interactive work project!

M

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Sounds like an awesome table Matt. :cool: I've been doing some welding for work recently and have started seeing more and more value in incorporating metal into projects... :eusa_thin

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW Brother...who would have thunkit. Very nice job. Love the pics. I need to stop over the next time I am in town.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Sounds like an awesome table Matt. :cool: I've been doing some welding for work recently and have started seeing more and more value in incorporating metal into projects... :eusa_thin

WOW Brother...who would have thunkit. Very nice job. Love the pics. I need to stop over the next time I am in town.

Trent:
Point taken. Everything is already pre-formed, pre-fabricated, and cut to length. Almost everything is 4ft (Mdf, Angle Iron, Alum Extrusion, etc..) Why spend time, additional time, trying to build any other way.

Scott:
Please do stop over! You will be in for a big Surprise, well... maybe not :gar-La;. But would love the visit!

Thanks guys!

M

JonT

New User
Jon
Please be careful when welding galvanized stock -- the zinc burn-off is quite poisonous! (not as bad as Cadmium plating, but still... it's not good for you.) I would not recommend you weld zinc plate indoors but if you must, be SURE you've got lots of ventilation (e.g. garage door open and exhaust fan ON) regardless of whether you're using flux wire or shielding gas.

http://files.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-25.pdf

Be safe.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Please be careful when welding galvanized stock -- the zinc burn-off is quite poisonous! (not as bad as Cadmium plating, but still... it's not good for you.) I would not recommend you weld zinc plate indoors but if you must, be SURE you've got lots of ventilation (e.g. garage door open and exhaust fan ON) regardless of whether you're using flux wire or shielding gas.

http://files.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-25.pdf

Be safe.

Jon,

Did not know that! :icon_thum

Im a WWr , so Welding is definetely new to me. I've only just gotten past being afraid of the "Sparks". I certainly have a healthy respect for this tool.

Thanks Again,

And....this is why I appreciate this site so much.

M

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Day 2:

For @ 1 1/2 hours this morning:

I measured/cut/prepped crossbars for welding to legs:

As in all things we make, GEometRy is crucial, especially when legs/wheels are concerned;

So using speed squares, get everything to 90 deg:
Wb_pics_001.JPG

Then measure for span of legs : @ 24 1/4 inch. Then using my HF tool (all HF used unless mentioned otherwise). I rough cut spans. All 4.

Wb_pics_002.JPG

Oh, and for Goodness sake: Use hand, ear and eye protection ! :saw:
After cuts are made, make a straight line to mark TDC (top dead center) on tubing. You will need to do this in order to "notch" then weld to legs.
Wb_pics_003.JPG

Snug pipe against rail, then run pencil down tube length.

Now mount up on Drill press. Use a 1 inch hole saw to cut half way, then flip and do other half.
Wb_pics_005.JPG

Wb_pics_006.JPG

Now I take to my RIKON BS (yes, my beloved Rikon). Use bi-metal to cut.
Wb_pics_008.JPG

Clean up on Bench grinder, dremel, whatever you have

Now measure from inside semi-circle to 24 1/4 inches. and repeat on other end, careful to use your TDC line to match up.

When done, your now ready to Weld up to legs.

I still need to finish this, but will post more pics when welded.

Thanks

Glennbear

Glenn
le Thanks for sharing Matt :icon_thum I have some welding projects in the future but first I have to rewire my welder which has been on the project list for a lonnnnggg time. :embaresse

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Day3

Spent about 4.5 hrs finishing up the mid spans and attempting to finish top bar supports.

One of the upper bar's welds did not hold, so needs to be sent back for rework! :wsmile:

Change Order #1 ( exchanged bottom shelf for Melamine Sheet vs. MDF).

Some pics:
work_b_001.JPG

The hardest thing for me to accomplish, is to get things perfectly at 90. I suffer from a sloped garage floor and a couple of cracks in cement, wheeled carts, etc....gets challenging if not impossible. But....
work_b_002.JPG

So, check for square, check for square, check for square: This takes up alot of time!
work_b_004.JPG

So, after a joint failure, I decided to putter down, and go to HD to get the Melamine. This helps to clear my head and get back to my happy place.

Nothing makes me happier than doing a tight joint. Especially after breakfast ! :gar-La;
Not good to work with dangerous tools, like a welder, when frustrated.:elvis:.

Tommorow is another day. Re-work top bar, and add 2 more upper bars (@24in) so as to help with securing a top!

Thanks for looking!

Matt

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
le Thanks for sharing Matt :icon_thum I have some welding projects in the future but first I have to rewire my welder which has been on the project list for a lonnnnggg time. :embaresse

Thanks! for :icon_thum .

Any advice/hints regarding welding is much appreciated. I think I may need to do 45's at the top in order to get better support and welds.

In meanwhile, I will try to re-work as is. :eusa_pray

M

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Nice progress pics. Looking forward to see it when its done. Are you gonna drill holes in it like the mft3?

Guess you didn't need that heater since you are welding :mrgreen:

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Nice progress pics. Looking forward to see it when its done. Are you gonna drill holes in it like the mft3?

Guess you didn't need that heater since you are welding :mrgreen:

Steve:

Yes, on drilling holes. How many, still in design phase (i.e. haven't gotten that far)

I "Design on the Fly" Sounds like a good name for a DIY show? :gar-La; .

My Welding philosophy based on recent experience is: Weld till you smell burning hair ! :elvis:

Then take break!

Do not try this at Home! :rolf:

M

JonT

New User
Jon
Jon,

Did not know that! :icon_thum

Im a WWr , so Welding is definetely new to me. I've only just gotten past being afraid of the "Sparks". I certainly have a healthy respect for this tool.

Thanks Again,

And....this is why I appreciate this site so much.

M

Glad to help. My background is the opposite of yours: from metalworking --> woodworking. Over the years I learned a bunch of lessons the hard way with the scars to prove it. Including: "don't wear cuffed trousers while welding" which I picked up at the same instant as "you can just barely see a pant-leg fire with your visor down."
As a man told me while apprenticing "if you ever switch this tool on and you're not scared, at least a little, then walk away." That's good advice for metalworkers & woodworkers, I believe.

Your work looks good. Welding thin-wall stuff like that pipe is challenging. Only thing worse is really thin gage (18-22-24) like you see in auto fenders. like trying to weld a "pop can". You've gotta be pretty good to do it well.

My advice (assuming you're using a MIG) is to get your face right down at the arc so you can look at the weld pool and see the wire feeding into it. Like 6" away. Strike that arc and hold it until the pool forms then start drawing away from the pool, working the edge. Dragging the edge of the weld pool where you want it to go.
Other thing is that wire speed is critical and you adjust it by sound. You want a sound like a giant frying egg. Not pop-pop-pop but a steady sizzle like "buzzzzzzzzzzz". Strike the arc by pulling the trigger. Without moving the gun, and with the other hand on the wire speed control, turn up the speed up until you feel the wire pushing the gun back away from the weldpool. it may go "pop! pop! pop!" and you'll fell it pushing. turn the speed back down until it sizzles. If you go too slow, it'll go "pop pop pop" again but without the wire pushing the gun back. This time the arc is being broken. The right speed is in the middle.
Oh, and if you're using fluxcore wire, be sure to chip off and brush off the slag and mess after you stop the arc. Every time. Don't try to just weld through it -- you'll get horrible porosity and lousy penetration, a very contaminated, weak weld. Just knock it with your welding hammer/pick and hit it a few strokes with a heavy wire brush until you see the shiny weld underneath. That slag is shielding the weld pool from the oxygen and nitrogen in the atmosphere.
Welding with shielding gas (MIG - metal inert gas, typically argon+Co2) is clean and easy by comparison since you dont get all that slag and have a cleaner pool. If you get good at flux core, you'll be a champ when it comes to MIG.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
As a man told me while apprenticing "if you ever switch this tool on and you're not scared, at least a little, then walk away." That's good advice for metalworkers & woodworkers, I believe. Absolutely!

My advice (assuming you're using a MIG) is to get your face right down at the arc so you can look at the weld pool and see the wire feeding into it. Like 6" away. Strike that arc and hold it until the pool forms then start drawing away from the pool, working the edge. Dragging the edge of the weld pool where you want it to go. Not sure how this is done?
Other thing is that wire speed is critical and you adjust it by sound. You want a sound like a giant frying egg. Not pop-pop-pop but a steady sizzle like "buzzzzzzzzzzz". Strike the arc by pulling the trigger. Without moving the gun, and with the other hand on the wire speed control, turn up the speed up until you feel the wire pushing the gun back away from the weldpool. it may go "pop! pop! pop!" and you'll fell it pushing. turn the speed back down until it sizzles. If you go too slow, it'll go "pop pop pop" again but without the wire pushing the gun back. This time the arc is being broken. The right speed is in the middle.
Oh, and if you're using fluxcore wire, be sure to chip off and brush off the slag and mess after you stop the arc. Every time. Don't try to just weld through it -- you'll get horrible porosity and lousy penetration, a very contaminated, weak weld. Just knock it with your welding hammer/pick and hit it a few strokes with a heavy wire brush until you see the shiny weld underneath. That slag is shielding the weld pool from the oxygen and nitrogen in the atmosphere.
Welding with shielding gas (MIG - metal inert gas, typically argon+Co2) is clean and easy by comparison since you dont get all that slag and have a cleaner pool. If you get good at flux core, you'll be a champ when it comes to MIG.

Great Stuff Jon.:icon_thum

Thanks!
I kept garage door open this time, My headache is much better thanks!:wsmile: After the first day, I did experience a sinus type headache and nightsweats. But after your advice, I didn't feel any mal effects from the burn off/smoke with the next welding session.

Will try out welding speed technique, and cleaning off slag after each stopped arc.

I am using Mig Welder (130 amp Harbor Freight) Flux Core wire feed (.035, I think). The setting being used is Min 1 (lowest setting) with a speed setting of 3. These settings cause the least amount of burn through within the thin pipe. That's been my biggest issue! It melts so easily.

In retrospect, I should went square steel tubular, rather than round tube. The geometry woulda been easier, IMHO.

Im hoping to be finished with the welding part of this project. Although my confidence is improving with each welding session, I would like to start working on the Table top by Sat.

Then paint and trim. But as we all know, projects always seem to take longer than originally planned.

Thanks again for all your valuable safety and technique tips, much appreciated.

Matt

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
:gar-BiDay 4:

Spent 1.5 hrs. late morning to lunch rewelding top bar. Pic came out to fuzzy for placement.

Oh, Jon, I incorporated your welding tips :icon_thum. Boy did that make a difference! This shortenened this ammy welder's learning curve! Thanks!

After completing, I checked frame for structural integrity. Put weight on bottom shelf, good

Top bars, good. But.....there was some lateral play at the bottom (racking). So, I did my next workaround. Fabricate some corner braces for bottom leg/shelf assembly.

First I found this cuttoff in shop (dont know guage....but thick).
wb_003.JPG

Next measured and marked by Triangles:
wb_005.JPG

Next I took my scissors :gar-Bi
wb_004.JPG

and began cutting:
wb_008.JPG

So we have:
wb_009.JPG

Which we use, like so....
wb_010.JPG

We need to position at 90's to the leg and angle iron and ....you guessed it.....weld.

Yet more welding! :gar-La;. Im hoping I wont have to do same procedure for the top portion,
But more will be revealed as I do and re-test. Remember: Design on the Fly!

Thanks,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS