14/4 wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekwon80

New User
joe
I've been to lowes and home depot and can't seem to find 14/4 wire. I just joined this site because I picked up a great deal off craigslist and have been refurbishing a Unisaw. I got down to rewiring and come to find that I CAN'T find 14/4 wire.

Anyone have any laying around that would sell me a few feet?

--Joe

Cato

New User
Bob
Joe,
14 would refer to the gauge and the 4 would be how many wires inclosed in a strand, usually including a ground as well if I am not mistaken.

Why not just buy the 14 gauge wire in separate colors for your color coding and go from there??

You could always try an electrical supply house as they would have more specialized stuff than a big box store.

joekwon80

New User
joe
Yeah that was going to be my last resort option. I was going to buy 4 strands and just wrap it in some tubing but I wanted to try to find the wire whole before I went that route. Do they sell flame retardant tubing?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Joe, Both big box stores will have 14-3 sj cable, which is actually 14-4 if you count the ground The cable will have a black, red, white and green wire sheathed in a rubber outer casing.
hope this helps

joekwon80

New User
joe
Yeah I thought that they would have the 14/3 with the ground too. All they had was 14/3 that had 3 cables inside black/white/green no red.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry, I assumed that sj cable was labeled much like nm or mc cable where 14-3 would have 4 wires. I just went out to my scrap pile and found two 8' lengths of 12-4 sj cable if you cannot find it closer

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I second CES (City Electric Supply). I used them when I built my shop a couple years back. They beat the BORGs price wise on almost every item. They two Durham locations:
Durham
Address: 2436 SO. MIAMI BLVD. #200-4, DURHAM, NC, 27703
Phone: (919) 957-0300 Fax: (919) 957-0400 Email: Durham0011@ces-us.net Distance: 0 miles See on Map
Apply for credit

North Durham
Address: 1500-B EAST CLUB BLVD, DURHAM, NC, 27704
Phone: (919) 433-8188 Fax: (919) 433-8189 Email: NorthDurham0225@ces-us.net Distance: 0 miles See on Map
Apply for credit

FlyingRon

Ron
Just to clarify for the confused. What he wants is cord NOT NM cable. The cord includes the ground in the conductor count (14-4 is the proper nomenclature). Cable does not (14/3 would be three current carrying conductors PLUS ground).

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
If you are refurbishing a 3hp Unisaw you should be looking for 12 ga and not 14 ga wire. Why are you looking for 4 conductor cable? 3 hp Unisaws run on 240 volt power and don't require Neutral (unless you have added something to the saw that requires 120 volts), so you should be able to use 3 conductor cable. You just put some black or red tape on the ends of the white wire to change it's color code and then use it plus the original black wire to run the 240 volts to the saw. Of course, the third conductor is green and it remains as the ground. Changing the color code this way is permitted
by the National Electric Code. If 4 conductor cable is what you really want, any electrical supply should carry it. You won't find it at Lowes or Home Depot.

Charley

FlyingRon

Ron
Actually, Type SO cordage 14g is good up to 18A when there are only two current carrying conductors, but that is likely still too small (3HP is right on the fence there, depending on the motor).

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Just to clarify for the confused. What he wants is cord NOT NM cable. The cord includes the ground in the conductor count (14-4 is the proper nomenclature). Cable does not (14/3 would be three current carrying conductors PLUS ground).

Ron, as usual you are correct. My local CES carries SJOW cord that would be suitable for this purpose.

This cord is also used for wiring 3-phase equipment, so a commercial electrical supply house usually has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS