1/2 inch plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, I worked in my shop some this weekend (got MLK birthday off this year) and have been making drawers for shop cabinets. I have been trying to "rework" my shop some and build in more storage and upgrade some stuff so I had built several shop cabinets including a miter saw stand, under tablesaw storage, a router table cabinet, and the cabinet for my bandsaw.

I decided I would make all of the drawers at once and had laid out all of my cuts in Excel to simplify things. Unfortunately, I added a 1/2 inch instead of subtracting a 1/2 inch so all of the drawers were 1 inch too large. I had built the drawers with a drawer lock joint and had reinforced them with staples and glued them heavily as they are shop storage so I gave up trying to separate them.

I had bought all of the original plywood at Home Depot, what they call Sandply. I like it and it does well for like drawer sides and so forth. Unfortunately, my local HD has gotten to be a dump and they didn't have any plywood out and I didn't feel like messing with them so I went across the street to Lowes.

I bought 3 sheets of 1/2 inch blond plywood (looks almost like the sandply from HD) and took it home and started cutting. Well, now comes the issue. Every sheet of plywood varied in thickness by 1/32 inch. No 2 sheets were the same thickness. 1 was 1/2 inch, one was 15/32, and one was 17/32. I looked it all over and they were all the exact same brand, had the same stickers on them and the stack at the store was fairly new so it had not been filtered through. This was a PAIN to try and do drawer lock joints with, but I did it. Dovetails would have been a nightmare. My suggestion is to beware when you go and buy plywood and make sure the thicknesses are consistent especially the imported stuff.

PS - If any body needs any wood drawers/boxes I have 14 that need a good home.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome to the world of crappy BORG ply. My FIL got all excited about some 3/4" "cabinet grade" ply at HD for $28. Once we started looking close there were plys that over lapped, several voids and overall poor quality. I think that the BORGs are the clearing house for plywood mistakes. My .02 Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
They still have that garbage. I paid $26 a sheet, but to your point, I will stick with Baltic Birch going forward. It is imported, but the quality is a lot better.

Monty

New User
Monty
Ouch. Hope your luck improves. Just design a new cabinet around those oversize drawers! It'll be worth it for the extra storage space - you can never have too much. You'll have to show us some pics when you get your shop all organized.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've done similar things a bunch of times.

The irony is that for drawers, if they were an inch too small you could shim the slides. My biggest mistake is usually cutting an inch too short so I know all about it!

Well, at least it tells me I'm not alone! :)

Maybe post the sizes and see if someone could use them and make a trade? Win-win situation!

BTW, where do you get the baltic birch ply around the Raleigh area?

Chuck

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
I love MDF - reliable, flat and consistant - it's routable, paintable etc - more than can be said for ply. Dust and weight are an issue, but I think the benefits out weigh those and as a substrate for veneer I believe there is nothing better. Just my opinion of course:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors