Search results

1. T

Hickory Table Top

Im looking to build my wife a new dining table. Over outside dimensions should be about 36” X 72”. Initial thoughts are to do six 5 1/2” boards, plus some 3 1/2” breadboards. Im leaning on using 1” material, so to give it a thicker look I will add a 1 1/2” - 2” thick border. In the past I have...
  2. T

Quick and Easy Fan

So I just recently gotten a new job from in the field to desk jockey. I wanted a desk fan and thought it would give me a nice project to work on. The fan is an Airplate S3 which is primarily made for flush mounting in large electrical cabinets to blow out the hot air. The good thing about these...
  3. T

Passive Dust Collection

Hey guys, Im a DIY Dad (step below Weekend Warrior). Im currently designing a miter saw station for my garage. Is it possible to have a flex hose from the back of the saw to a 5gal bucket? Or do I need a fancy dust collection system? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  4. T

Wonky counter top

So my wife wanted me to build her a stove top cover. It basically creates an elevated countertop over the stove to add some counter space. I edge glued some of what i believe is fir using some biscuits. After sanding the seams i noticed its not perfectly flat. Its about 1/4” off on one corner...
  5. T

End Grain Staining

I will be building a new table top for a dresser we picked up. I have never had good luck getting a nice smooth surface on the end grain. What is the typical method for staining and finishing end grain? Im aware that it can become darker due to how porous the end grain is. Should I sand to...
  6. T

Candle Holder

Heres a quick and dirty tea light holder. I made this from some scrap walnut mr ken was gracious enough to let go of. Started out as rough wood with live edge. It ripped it down on the table saw; cant recall measurements but it was somewhere around a 2x2x20. Then I got a 1 1/2" forstner bit and...
  7. T

Recent projects

Heres some pics of my recent projects. We're building a new house so much of it revolves around that. Keep in mind Im no carpenter and I may have gotten a little help here and there. For the house I made some corbels for the bar top, pine console table to match some end tables I previously...
  8. T

Finishing over Poly

My wife and I have a farmhouse style table and benches and we (her) would like to refinish. The whole thing is finished with a high gloss poly. We (she) would like the bottoms painted and the tops satin and not gloss. My plans are to sand, prime, sand, paint the bottoms; but as to the tops Im...
  9. T

My First Cutting Board

Ill start by saying my wife would like a butcher block style countertop center island in our new house and would like me to do it. I told her I would have to start somewhere smaller first, before even attempting something to that scale. KenofCary was nice enough to share some of his scrap walnut...
  10. T

Scraps for Butcher Block

Im looking to see if any of you have some scraps I can use for a first time butcher block cutting board. My wife would like me to build a butcher block top for our center island and I would like a small scale project to get my feet wet. If anyone has some maple, walnut, cherry or the like that...
  11. T

Help With Steel Wool/Vinegar "Stain"

So I made some end tables out of what I assume is white pine 2x4's, 2x6's, 2x2's and 1x12's. It came out pretty decent for my first big boy wood project. My wife loved the brownish-grey color you get from the steel wool and vinegar (iron acetate I believe) followed by a light white wash. This...
  12. T

Waterlox Varnish

Hey guys, Im pretty new to this and have a couple questions. I recently finished building a bookshelf out of those wooden crates you can find at the big box stores. Unknown soft wood. I stacked 8 of them and glued and nailed them fairly well. I also made a base out of 2x4s for stability. I then...
  13. T

Quick Finishing Practice

Im still a young buck when it comes to woodworking, but I remembered that i had some old cigar boxes laying around that I could practice finishing on and thought they would make nice boxes for my coin collection. Not sure on what type of wood is here, but I basically sanded the old finish off...
  14. T

Finished Table

It seems that I forgot to add the completed pics of my last project. Not perfect by any stretch, but my wife loves it and thats all that matters. Thanks for the help guys! More projects to come.
  15. T

Poly Over Acrylic/Enamel

I'm new to the forum and I'm glad I found it. I try my best with a few projects, but I never had much training in wood working. I am building a table out of an old sewing machine. I was able to salvage some small wood scraps that I arranged and flushed with the rest of the plywood. I have a pic...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors