Search results

1. NCJim

Scroll saw lubrication?

Does a scroll saw need to be lubricated? I checked the manual and noting is said about lubrication. I have read that some people say they should be lubricated with Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) some say 3in one oil. I have a WEN LL2156 21-Inch 1.6-Amp Variable Speed Parallel Arm Scroll Saw that...
  2. NCJim

Air Brush Kit suggestions

My wife wants to try a air brush for painting our wood toys etc. with acrylic paint. I want to get her a kit for Christmas? Any suggestions that will not break the bank? Maybe around $100-$200 range?
  3. NCJim

Drill press question

I just got a new bench top drill press. This new drill press has a variable speed lever unlike my old model that you had to move the belts in order to change speeds. So the question is: Should I change speeds while the machine is running or should the speed changed when the machine is stopped...
  4. NCJim

Need scroll saw advice

My wife wants to get into scroll sawing. Has anyone used the Wen LL2156 21 inch saw? It's priced at about $360 which is the price she wants to pay. Also anyone have a good quality used machine in that price range? She now is using a inexpensive machine that is like using a jack hammer.
  5. NCJim

Dewalt DWS779 12-in 15-Amp Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Corded Miter Saw for sale $375 or make an offer

SOLD I have a like new (used on just one project) Dewalt DWS779 12-in 15-Amp Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Corded Miter Saw (Corded). New 2-pack (never opened) 12" 80 teeth bade included in price. asking $375 but make an offer. My son back about 1 year or so ago had a project that required...
  6. NCJim

Forstner Bit for ash question

I was turning an ash piece on my lathe. Using a Forsten bit bored a 1-1/2"dia. hole 3-1/2" deep in the center of piece while the piece is still on the lathe. A while back I turned a pepper grinder with the same set-up in a hardwood (not ash) and this worked out well. This time using the same...
  7. NCJim

Need advice cutting log slices

My wife wants some edge live edge log slices for craft projects. I tried to cut some on my 12” DeWalt miter saw. I cut a couple but one kicked out and scared the bejeebies out of me. Any suggestions on how I can cut these safely? Maybe some type of jig to hold the log? I watched a video on doing...
  8. NCJim

10" DeWalt Miter Saw Question

Will a 10" power miter saw cut through a 4"x 3" landscape timber at a 30 degree angle?
  9. NCJim

SOLD: Logan F100-5 Picture Framing Cutting Jig, $60

Logan F100-5 Picture Framing Jig. “Logan's F100-5 is an accessory designed to convert your power miter saw into an accurate saw for picture framing. The kit includes fences, stops, and a scale with detailed installation instructions. It can be mounted to a worktable surface or to a separate...
  10. NCJim

The Forge Greensboro?

Does anyone on this forum belong to the "Forge Greensboro:? I am a "Senior Citizen" would I fit in with this group? PM me if you would like to respond.
  11. NCJim

Picture Framing Clamp $25***SOLD***

Purchased from Rockler, paid $45 + shipping. Like new condition used on just one project. Will sell for $25 I live in Randleman, NC SOLD
  12. NCJim

The Forge Greensboro

My wife and I are interested in the Forge Greensboro Makers Place. Anyone belong to this group? My wife and I are moving to Randleman in April and looking for woodworkers club. I have belonged to the Charlotte Woodworkers in the past and looking for a club near Randleman. Any other ideas of a...
  13. NCJim

40W CO2 Laser Engraving/cutting Machine Help/Training

I am new to laser cutting and right off have some issues. I would like to get some training. Any ideas? I have a $400 chinese laser ( 40W CO2 Laser Engraving Machine). I have no illusions that this machine will do what I would like to do but I thought this was a good way to learn without laying...
  14. NCJim

Wood Burning

My wife would like to get into wood burning. She is an artist and would like to do a combo of painting and wood burning. Any suggestions on a GOOD starter set. Something of decent quality she can try but not break the bank in case she doesn’t like to do burning. Also, anyone have a used set...
  15. NCJim

Roof slate

My wife is looking for roof slate for art projects. New or used..ugly is good too as long as they are somewhat full size. Must be cheap or free would be better. We live near the Charlotte Area (Tega Cay/Fort Mill, SC.) and will pick up. The 31st. we are going to South Port/Willington area and...
  16. NCJim

Mineral spirits Vs traditional thinner?

When should I use mineral spirits over traditional thinner? I just invested is some really good brushes and was told to use ONLY mineral spirits for cleaning the brushes. Is that true?
  17. NCJim

Need new miter saw blade-question

I want to change the blade on my 10” miter saw. The saw is over a year old and I still have the 60 tooth factory blade. Most of my cutting is pine but I do cut some hardwoods too. I just put a Freud thin cut kerf blade on my table saw and it is great. So what all that said, since I seem to have...
  18. NCJim

Shellac wash coat question

I plan to make a wash coat of a mix of 1:1 shellac and alcohol and apply over pine. Then apply a penetrating stain and a topcoat. This is for a TV stand that I am making. So the questions are: Is this a OK mix & procedure? (I have been experimenting with Zinsser Amber Shellac and I like the...
  19. NCJim

What is a “planer blade”

I have some ¾” thick and some 2”x2” cherry to cut and want a smooth cut using my table saw. Someone told me to get a “good planer blade” for my table saw. I went to Lowes and Home depot and they both try to sell be blades for a planer. Google search bring the same results. So what is a planer...
  20. NCJim

Random Orbital Palm Sander suggestions

I am looking to replace my Random Orbital Palm Sander which I just broke. I hate sanding and would like to replace it with a better orbital palm sander. Any suggestions? I don't what to break the bank, just a good sander at a reasonable price!! I have arthritis in by wrist and sanding kills me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors