Search results

1. LeftyTom

Question About Glue Up For Box Making

I am thinking about doing a glue up of some walnut I have; dark and light hues. Is there any possible issues with face gluing the boards(~1/2" thick), then cross cutting them to the the desired width (say 4")? Or am I better off ripping each board to the desired width, and gluing up the 1/2"...
  2. LeftyTom

AC Condensate Drain

In my basement, the drain from the air handler goes through the floor to empty under the concrete slab. Recently, it has started to drain slowly. So I ended up with a cup of water on the basement floor a few times. The drain pan in the air handler has gotten its yearly "two pills" treatment...
  3. LeftyTom

AmazonSmile Ends FEB20 2023

For those of us who make use of Amazon's donations to NCWW. Amazon will make a one-time donation equal to 3 months that NCWW earned in 2022.
  4. LeftyTom

Member Signup Rejected?

A guy in Boonville tried signing up with NCWW this week. He doesn’t think he was approved. The username is Sapper33, I believe. Any pointers?
  5. LeftyTom

Raffle Ticket/Scholarship Donation Issues

I purchased tickets Friday APR8. I have not received my numbers, and the charge has no appeared on my credit card.
  6. LeftyTom

Likely Insect Damage

While spraying for insects inside my garden building (built in 2013), I found this damage on the northwest corner. I see no signs of water on the inside walls, which still look like new wood. The outside corner looks undamaged. I see no signs of termite tunnels, but I have not pulled up the...
  7. LeftyTom

Delta 22-580 Planer Won't Feed

Yes, I waxed the tables. So this isn't an easy fix. Powers up, belt turns on one side, gears turn on the other side. The chains, however, do not turn. Can I fix this?
  8. LeftyTom

DIY Canopy Replacement

The wind got the best of a 4yr old canopy last year. I dusted off my geometry skills, and ordered all parts from Amazon. I found UV- and water-resistant fabric in a 5ft by 50ft roll, so I have some left for another panel. I used "tarp repair clips" instead of grommets, in case I need to move...
  9. LeftyTom

Brax Corner Clamps

https://braxhardware.com/products/corner-clamps?fbclid=IwAR38Ii3QpPxL8AxEpoWZL65ofmnajZ1gfXbltCDAvK_tmsFQ1K6Abr-dn_c What is the collective wisdom on these?
  10. LeftyTom

Birthday Gift

Carla wanted to get me this for birthday. It was backordered, and Klingspor sent her the "shipped" email Tuesday DEC15. It arrived Wednesday morning DEC16.
  11. LeftyTom

Working On End Tables

I am working on a pair Arts and Crafts style end tables. I have the legs, shelves, and stringers cut. The narrower sides have 3 slats each, 3/8" thick. I have milled the ash I have down for all the parts. I laminated the ash to get a 3" thickness, which I think I will simply leave with the...
  12. LeftyTom

Lost A Screw, Buy A Blade

I seem to have lost the iron to chip breaker cap screw on a Fulton plane. The plane body is stamped 3709 on the side, and 301 under the frog. (The brazing on the side does not affect the sole). While the parts are soaking in Evaporust, I can peruse a new blade, as I see light between the...
  13. LeftyTom

Fulton Work

I got a bit of planing done Monday morning. No paper thin ribbons, but I am getting ribbons.
  14. LeftyTom

Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detector Recommendations?

A Duke Energy transformer up the road went south last week. When power was restored an hour later, the Firex smoke detector in the basement went bonkers, continuously sounding the alarm. This alarm is interconnected with a second alarm upstairs, which was going off also. The upstairs detector...
  15. LeftyTom

Spindle Or Hand Sand?

I am working on a table with curved skirts (no, I am not wearing the skirts). After running the pieces by the spindle sander, I still have a few bumps to flatten (may not be noticeable in the pics). Would you touchup using the spindle sander or sandpaper attached to a curved piece of scrap?
  16. LeftyTom

Bandsaw Tire Check

I was cutting some 9" long 1/2" thick alder on the bandsaw, using a 3/8" blade. Almost through the second piece, when I smelled hot rubber. Shutdown the bandsaw and saw this The funky color on the blade is "blade lube". I slipped the tire back on, readjusted the upper wheel so the blade...
  17. LeftyTom

HNPD, Part 2

I scored myself a Sargent 409, to go with the Sargent 409C. Now I can argue with myself whether a corrugated sole is better.
  18. LeftyTom

HNPD

Happy New Plane Day! I snagged this off Ebay for $35. It was listed as a Sargent 409C. The adjustment knob has right-hand threads. The tote was a bit lose, but a few turns of the screwdriver took care of that. The iron is dull, but I have a diamond sharpening kit (325, 600, & 1000...
  19. LeftyTom

Sanding Shoe For Flattening Panels?

Have anyone tried a belt sander with a sanding shoe for flattening glued-up panels? I have 4 panels that need a tad of flattening, 1/100 to 7/100. My belt sander is a Craftsman 3"x 18", which is 20 years old, so I suspect a sanding shoe is not available. So I may be adding a new belt sander...
  20. LeftyTom

Need Switch Cover For Delta 10"Drill Press

Where can a fellow get one of these? The 2 plastic flanges on the back broke earlier this week.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS