Search results

1. D

Table plans

I'd already gone to bed before you posted Bill. I should have done that but my brain was a bit foggy from a head cold. I did get a message however and just replied to it.
  2. D

Table plans

Hover over my name and the click on Start conversation. I'm about done for tonight so I'll check tomorrow.
  3. D

Table plans

I don't know if I'm a guru but we could chat. Contact me via a private message.
  4. D

3D Illusion PNG Files

Yes. The gray scale image is used as a height map. The gray value of each pixel is translated into a different height. You ought to be able to do that with most any image. I did a quickie from the attached color image. I changed it into a gray scale image and cropped it. I made the meshshown but...
  5. D

3D Illusion PNG Files

I recently won a Creality 40W laser and all this is new to me. What sort of file do you need? Does a simple heightmap (gray scale image) work or do you need a mesh generated from the heightmap? I was just doodling while waiting for my lunch to cook and made a mesh from one of the images Echd...
  6. D

Furniture Plans

If you can do that you can likely create your own plans from your own SketchUp models. It's not too dificult to take a design as a starting point and modify it to suit if needed. As an example, this is a table I designed for a client to build for his client. It was based loosely on an existing...
  7. D

Furniture Plans

Another source: Fine Woodworking Project Plans Keep in mind that if you search the 3D Warehouse for plans you're likely to get a bunch of furniture models that are far from ready to build from. They may give you construction details you can work from but you'll want to go through them with a...
  8. D

Screw Size Symbol Help

The symbol should really look as shown in my screenshot but whoever typed the text didn't know that. Ø (capital letter O with stroke) would probably be a better choice. There are screws specifically for plastic with a different thread than sheet metal screws. Depending on how the screws are...
  9. D

Let’s Talk Dovetail Jigs - Follow-Up

Like Charlie, I'm not a fan of the comb-type dovetail jigs. I don't like the zipper tooth look or the issues associated with the fixed spacing. I'm also not a fan of carbide dovetail cutters. They result in what look like obese pins to me. There are HSS dovetail cutters that result in thinner...
  10. D

No Longer WTB: “Router Boss”

Oops! Too late, I guess. I've got one but no shop.
  11. D

mitre angles

It might be easier to figure out with a 3D model. As Mark wrote, the angle of the blade will be a little under 45° (the compliment of my ~45.9° angle.
  12. D

Turning Dutch Foot Legs

Very nice work. I did a tutorial some years ago on making a digital version of legs like this. It is an interesting exercise in thinking about multiple axis turnings.
  13. D

Asked to repair this chair.

Not quite as rustic but you could beat it with a chain or something. Weird Chair by Dave, on Flickr
  14. D

Sketchup Design and Tutoring Offered

I didn't take it as a challenge. Just stating that I'm not new to SketchUp.
  15. D

I'm well aware of the differences between SketchUp 2015 and SketchUp 2023 as well as the differences between SketchUp on Windows and SketchUp on Mac. I've used SketchUp for more than 20 years and have been an authorized SketchUp trainer since 2006. Currently I use SketchUp 2023.
  16. D

Which version of SketchUp are you using?
  17. D

SketchUp Workshop Online

I'm back at my computer now.
  18. D

SketchUp Workshop Online

Hi Pat, I'll try to help you out.im not at my computer at the moment but let me know what you need. If you prefer go ahead and start a private conversation. I'll look as soon as I can.
  19. D

Joinery choices: bolted stub tenon or through wedged tenon

Good catch. FWIW I also came up with 65+ lbs for the elliptical top and included that in my post. ;)
  20. D

Joinery choices: bolted stub tenon or through wedged tenon

It does kind of make me wonder what else it might get wrong.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors