Search results

1. oldetoolworkshop

Workshop Tour

I'd like to thank everyone that watched my video and the kind words for my shop. These are very special places to us and I was glad to share my shop with you all. This forum is such a great resource for any woodworker! Thanks again! "Happy Shavings" -Aaron
  2. oldetoolworkshop

Workshop Tour

Thanks GrayWolf! Yeah, the shop is only 10x12 and I believe for me it's about the perfect size. Sure it gets cramped sometimes (think split top Roubo workbench build) but I do love how it helps govern my tool obsession (ok maybe not the axes lol). If I had a larger shop it would be filled to the...
  3. oldetoolworkshop

Workshop Tour

LOL, Hank don't worry, I was in the Navy and have a pretty thick skin which comes in handy when using hand tools ;-) . Jeff mentioned pictures of some of my creations. I will post some pics of some of my projects on this site when a get some more time. In the meantime you can check out my blog...
  4. oldetoolworkshop

Workshop Tour

Thanks Hank! Keeping a shop clean takes a lot of effort for me, but I realized that when I walk into my shop every morning and everything is in it's place, I get a really nice feeling and I am ready to proceed with what ever project I am working on at the time. Also, it helps me keep from...
  5. oldetoolworkshop

Workshop Tour

Hey Ya'll I've wanted to do this for a while now, but life keeps getting in the way. I have posted a video of my workshop on YouTube, the title is "2018 Workshop Tour". Please Let me know what you think. "Happy Shavings" -Aaron
  6. oldetoolworkshop

Picking up where I left off in Hickory with the tool chest build

I used milk paint on my Dutch Tool Chest too. I chose the same colors as Chris Schwarz, red base color with black topcoat. I love this chest!!! I work out of it every day and it houses my most frequently used tools perfectly. This chest has survived 2 years of expansion and contraction and the...
  7. oldetoolworkshop

Opinion - Next tool purchase?

As Ken an Jeff have added some great information, I have another Youtube Video that you may like. Paul Sellers works almost exclusively with hand tools, namely the #4 hand plane. He is a great instructor and has tons of useful videos here https://paulsellers.com/ and his video on the #4 is here...
  8. oldetoolworkshop

New Year giveaway

Thanks Phil! Thanks for the additional information too. Yes, please include 2 doors with the mahogany from the jambs from the 4 7/8 walls if possible. Also, will you be notifying us of the location and time to come pick up these items on the 13th? -Aaron
  9. oldetoolworkshop

New Year giveaway

Hey Phil, Happy New Year! We would like (4) of the white upper cabinets (and the 2 with shelving below it) as well and some (400 ft) of the crown moulding and 2 of the doors. -Aaron https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25802&d=1514798749
  10. oldetoolworkshop

Christmas Present / Tool Gloat

Hey All, I hope everyone had a great Christmas. My wife is the best, I really mean it, this is what she gave me for Christmas: a Lie-Nielsen Number 4 Bronze smoothing plane! Really, I could not believe it. -Aaron Olde Tool Workshop
  11. oldetoolworkshop

New Year giveaway

Woot! Phil's the man! -Aaron
  12. oldetoolworkshop

My first official woodworking project. Whimsical rustic chair

Books are great and YouTube is a valuable resource, but there is no substitute for actually building stuff. Keep building things and you will be amazed how much you learn. -Aaron
  13. oldetoolworkshop

Workbench build with Roubo Straighteners

Hi all, I just wanted to give an update on my workbench glue up. IT WORKED, ROUBO ROCKS!!! There is no twist, bow, or voids and the top is as straight as an arrow and with only some minor flattening and end trimming, it should be good to go. As you can see by my photo, it has be rigorously...
  14. oldetoolworkshop

Hey John, I like to share what I learn with as many people as possible. As to the square holes, I used them for two reasons: 1) Roubo showed them as square and I figured they had a good reason for square holes back in the day and 2) I believe that round holes (sounds funny saying that) would...
  15. oldetoolworkshop

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It is a wonderful book, you will not regret your purchase. This is an awesome and cheap solution, I do not think the clamp manufacturers what this secret out. ;) It does take some effort to make the square holes, but completely worth it as these boards are...
  16. oldetoolworkshop

One more thing, I do plan to clamp between the "twins" of the straightener for extra clamping power. -Aaron
  17. oldetoolworkshop

Hi all, Just checked around the web to see if anyone has used this method of laminating and face joining a workbench top. The Roubo straightener I am referring to is shown on my blog here: http://oldetoolworkshop.com/2017/12/19/roubo-to-the-rescue/ Has anyone out there used this method or...
  18. oldetoolworkshop

6o deg Live Center Advice

A big thank you to everyone who suggested live centers. I will be choosing one of these after the holidays after all my finances have recovered :) Thanks, -Aaron
  19. oldetoolworkshop

6o deg Live Center Advice

I'm in need of a 60 Deg. Live Center for my Jet Mini Lathe model JML -1014VSI with a #2 Morse Taper. Any suggestions on a high quality center to be used for light duty work, small bowls and smallish spindles on up to 3" in diameter? Price is a consideration, but quality is my #1 concern...
  20. oldetoolworkshop

New Fire Piston Project and some Mystery Wood

Re: Channeling Bill Cosby.... Hi Henry, A Fire Piston is a very primitive fire starting tool that employs compressed air to ignite tender (like charcloth). I know it sounds impossible but it works and is a very cool thing to demonstrate. Here is the writeup I put on my facebook page...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS