Search results

1. TenguWoodwork

Job Posting: Refinishing/polishing funiture Chapel Hill/Pittsboro

I have a client (from my non-woodworking day job) ask if I knew anyone who could polish or potentially refinish some furniture. The client has some physical limitations that prevents him from using most handheld tools. I don't know the condition of the furniture/finish, but am happy to ask. If...
  2. TenguWoodwork

Japanese weapon project: joinery question

Hi NCWW, I'm making a QS White Oak training bisento (ancient Japanese anti-calvary weapon) for a friend. I've made one before but this one has a unique twist: essentially I need to be able to ship it at a shorter length (to Colorado) for simple assembly on the other end. To be clear, this would...
  3. TenguWoodwork

Purple Heartwood advice

Hey everyone, I've read through the PH posts throughout the forum and felt my question was unique enough to warrant a new thread. I'm almost to the finishing step in a Purple Heartwood boken (wood sword for martial arts training) and need some advice. Typically I use Tung Oil (with White...
  4. TenguWoodwork

Display case for Japanese Armor

Another addition to the Fayetteville Dojo series (the Nyoibo/Human Being Bat, Torii, and Bisento are all for the same customer). This is a display case for a set of Japanese armor. It's Red Oak with plywood for the top, shelf, and floor. Except for the plywood, glass, and the top moulding this...
  5. TenguWoodwork

Torii (Japanese Gate)

So here is a series of photos of a Torii that I (with lots of help from my father/technical advisor/mutual splinter remover MrFixIt71) built for a Martial Art school owner in Fayetteville. A HUGE thank you to Scott Smith for his technical advice...and the critical 12ft, relatively straight, 12"...
  6. TenguWoodwork

Router Bit question

Hi Woodworkers, So I think I'm about due for a question. This one involves trying to simplify/ speed up my bokken (wood practice sword for martial arts) production. I'm curious if anyone knows a router bit that gives me an ellipse similar to the picture (insert, bottom left). The key is the...
  7. TenguWoodwork

Labor Rate Question

Hi everyone, I'm building a display case/gun cabinet for a friend. Materials are going to be about $500 dollars (it includes some large tempered glass panels and a mirror). Add in driving from Durham to NC Hardwood for materials, and probably a drive to Fayetteville for delivery. What would be...
  8. TenguWoodwork

Large Project advice

Howdy everyone, I'm probably getting pretty "popular" with all my advice needed posts, but I thank everyone in advance. I've been asked to build a Torii Gate (japanese style gate) for a friend. It's going to be mounted one a wall, so in essence it's only half a gate(if cut on the coronal...
  9. TenguWoodwork

Advice please

Hi Woodworkers, My friend has asked me to build him a half dozen stools similar to the attached photo. They'll probably be painted or stained with dark walnut. It's my first shot at furniture, so I'd like some advice on: 1) Wood selection. The stools will be at his business and probably will...
  10. TenguWoodwork

Martial Art Weapon (The Human Being Bat)

Here's a few photos of the Nyoibo aka "human being bat": 6ft, 4x4in, octagonal with a 1/2in taper. Thanks again for everyone that contributed to my earlier post. The first photo is me with Nyoibo (I'm 6ft, so it's a nice scale). Second is the "sled" we used to pass through the band saw. Third...
  11. TenguWoodwork

Advice/Suggestions on project needed

I've been asked to make this for a friend. In essence, it's a 6ft x 4in x 4in octagonal baseball bat. So far I've created a maple 4x4. I'd love some recommendations on how to form the tapered regular octagon. I essentially have a full shop at my disposal. Thanks all!
  12. TenguWoodwork

Build advice for Training Weapon

Hi woodworkers, I'm building an all wood training weapon for a friend of mine. It's a Japanese pole-arm called a Bisento (a Naginata's older, bulkier cousin). It will be approx 8ft, with a 25" blade. I have a few personal challenges that I'd like some advice for accomplishing. Integrating the...
  13. TenguWoodwork

Son of MrFixIt71

Howdy NC Woodworkers, I've met a few of you in person at various events with my father. Just wanted to say hello to the forum. I don't know how much technical knowledge I bring to the table, but I can bring lots of questions. As the old Spanish proverb goes: "The biggest fool can ask more...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors