Search results

1. nelsone

Western Red Cedar in Charlotte?

Thanks. This one comes down to customer request. I plan on making a couple for myself out of white oak at some point. For those that are interested, McGee Lumber carries WRC.
  2. nelsone

Western Red Cedar in Charlotte?

Does anyone know where I can find some 5/4 Western Red Cedar in the Charlotte area? I have been asked to build a couple Adirondack chairs and plan to use cedar.
  3. nelsone

Beginning to Learn to turn segments

Just did my first segmented turning and have a couple more t do. They are fun. when I was building up the rings I found it helpful to build half rings then attach both pieces to the table saw sled and split them to get a clean joint. Much easier than trying to get perfect angles off the miter saw.
  4. nelsone

Walnut Drink Tray with inlay

Re: Agreed - Nicely Done! : Walnut Drink Tray with inlay Trays are fun. You did a nice job on that one. I like the cutouts for the glasses.
  5. nelsone

Segmented Bowl

Thanks guys! Mike, no it isn't too cold, I'll be paddling through the winter! But it has been fun having a project to work on. I still have to get a couple more to get done.
  6. nelsone

Segmented Bowl

Hello everyone! Been quite a while since I've done any woodwork so since I finally completed something I thought I'd share. This is my first attempt at a segmented turning and I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. Merry Christmas to All!
  7. 1st Segmented Turning

1st Segmented Turning

Segmented Bowl
  8. Compass Rose Tray

Compass Rose Tray

9. Ferderal Influenced Service Tray

Ferderal Influenced Service Tray

10. nelsone

best type of flush trim router bit for burl veneer as well as plain cut veneer?

Burl veneer? Sounds like a job for a knife, file and sandpaper. Even with a spiral bit, I think you would risk tear out.
  11. nelsone

Latest Harpsichord Finished - Sapele and Chinoiserie

That may have been some firsts for you both, but I hope not the last! That is a beautiful instrument!
  12. nelsone

Federal Style Desk for my grandson - finally done!

Fantastic looking desk! Thanks for sharing.
  13. nelsone

Anybody doing any strip built boats?

My dad has built a couple strip canoes and a S&G kayak out in MO. I am much more into whitewater than flat water, but have been interested in tackling one of the Guillemots. I'd love to see the boat and discuss some of the challenges sometime.
  14. nelsone

4th Annual Charlotte Area NCWW Christmas get together

See everyone Saturday!
  15. nelsone

4th Annual Charlotte Area NCWW Christmas get together

I'll probably be able to make it.
  16. nelsone

My new shop ;-)

Looks like a nice setup you have Pete!
  17. nelsone

Day Lilly Carving

Great carving BTW, but I would expect nothing less!
  18. nelsone

Day Lilly Carving

Dang Pete. Guess I haven't been around enough. Sorry to hear you're moving away, but I wish you the best. You going to teach carving for Roy? ;-)
  19. nelsone

My Job is being eliminated

Tough situation to be in for sure. There was an article on NPR a couple weeks ago that patent attorneys are in high demand. I hope that proves true and you have a short wait!
  20. nelsone

Cherry stain or dye on hard maple

I would highly recommend using dye. I used transtint when I was making some built in units that had both maple hardwood and maple plywood. The dye shows the grain, but avoids the blotching. Looks terrible when the dye is applied, but after about 3 coats of poly everything popped.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS