Search results

1. rybo

Wood identification - spoon stock

Getting my Peter Follansbee on recently and carving spoons. We are doing work on the house recently and I noticed the workers had left this little guy. I thought it had potential, so I split it open with my froe. It looks like it would make a beautiful spoon, but I want to make sure its a decent...
  2. rybo

Riving maple...uses?

Got around to riving some of the maple logs I had lying around. It looks beautiful, and it's a very satisfying feeling to see it go from log to lumber. I know a few logs are limb wood (thanks scsmith42), but the others seems to be from the main trunk. The first things that come to mind are a...
  3. rybo

Finished making my first hand plane

Doug fir / walnut with a chiseled-down walnut dowel (too cheap for the Veritas doweling jig). Blade taken from a Groz plane I had lying around. Finished this afternoon, used it to chamfer an edge - got some really nice thin shavings. Can't wait to really test it out. Looking back, I...
  4. rybo

Before/After Planing Thread

One of the things I love about woodworking is taking wood and exposing what's beneath by planing it and cleaning it up. I haven't seen a similar thread, so I thought I would attempt to start one. Anyone got any good pics of before/after wood? I'll start things off. Before: After...
  5. rybo

Received free maple logs...now need advice on slicing them up!

The neighbor across the street just cut down a large, beautiful maple tree. I was out recovering from surgery, so I wasn't able to get my hands on any of the large logs (plus I don't have a place to put them now, or a truck). However, after she saw me picking through the wormy split logs she...
  6. rybo

Yet another Wood ID

I got a bunch of wood from my grandfather recently. Mostly walnut, with some curly maple sprinkled throughout. I started making my sister a jewelry box for Christmas (my first dovetail project), and thought I was using pieces of walnut. I've started to wonder whether I'm wrong about it being...
  7. rybo

Bench Joinery

I recently got 2 long walnut boards from my grandfather. Both pieces are around 8' long, and I'm thinking about turning at least the bigger one into some type of bench. It's obviously not a slab, but I think this still might be the best use that would keep from having to chop up the long...
  8. rybo

How to Slab Smaller Dogwood Trunks

Hey all, A neighbor left a big pile of dogwood trunks for pickup, so naturally I had to pick up a few just to see what the wood was like. I've never heard of woodworkers really using dogwood, but I thought it would be a good learning experience. Suprisingly, from what I see the wood has...
  9. rybo

Newbie in Charlotte

Hey all, I'm new to the site - just got married and moved to Charlotte from Columbia a few months ago. I've been woodworking for only about a year now, but I'm hooked. My grandfather recently gave me all of his old woodworking tools and a few stacks of walnut, so I've been setting up in my...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS