Search results

1. C

Porter Cable Dovetail Jigs - 4210 and 4212

I have for sale two complete Porter Cable dovetail jigs 4210 - Half blind dovetails, perfect for drawer fronts. $65 4212 - Same as above with additional parts to make through dovetails. $100 Both are like new, complete with everything that came in the box: base unit, template(s), dovetail...
  2. C

Looking for a user Back Saw

Does anyone have a good old crosscut back saw that they’d part with? I have no problem paying a bit more if it’s sharp and in usable condition. As an alternative- any suggestions for a decent new one? I’m kind of bowled over by the bad axe and grammercy prices, any suggestions for something...
  3. C

Sharpening stones for planes and chisels

Most of my plane and chisel edges are in pretty good shape. The quality runs from Aldi specials to Hock replacement blades. I’m pretty much a “less is more” type and have been touching up the edges as needed and that works pretty well. I currently use two DMT diamond stones, a D8F (600) and a...
  4. C

Best files for saw sharpening?

Thinking that its time l made an effort to learn to sharpen my saws. I got some tips and advice from my sharpening guy and want to start with this one. It’s more brute force than precision so I figure it would be a bit more forgiving as I learn. I would rather not just get HF or other cheap...
  5. C

How about some dovetail help?

Practicing on some scraps, looking to make a small step stool for the shop. Obviously this isn’t the perfect material to learn dovetails but it’s what I have. So the internet is full of basic instructions but I can’t find any “troubleshooting“ advice, as in “if that‘s wrong, try this”...
  6. C

Help with sharpening a drawknife

I got a good deal on this from a local guy on Craigslist but it needs some work. My sharpening experience has evolved as far as “get a good edge/bevel and then frequently touch that up with high grit and honing before the tool gets too dull”. Grinding to straighten a wavy edge before...
  7. C

Scorp Inshave Travisher and Froe

No, not a law firm. I’ve caught the stick chair virus and I’m looking for those tools. Please let me know if you have any of those that you might consider selling, PM is fine. I live in upstate SC and would be willing to travel a reasonable distance to make a cash purchase if appropriate...
  8. C

Bandsaw advice, please

Trying to cut tapers- photo (not exact, but mock-up to show the cut): The blade tends to waiver, especially when trying to “shave” a little to clean up the cut. My thoughts- Tighten the blade? Already cranked up as far as I’m comfortable, not sure I’d want to tighten it any more Wrong...
  9. C

Ripping slats on a table saw

I keep flip-flopping between both of these methods and want some opinions which is better/safer. FIRST - Keep moving the board to the fence for each cut, obviously use push stick to get the slat past the blade. I know that it’s better for the off cut not to be between the blade and the fence...
  10. C

My first stick chair attempt

Well, baby steps actually, the full blown chair might be a couple more steps away. Although the end result doesn‘t look like much I learned a lot. For years I’ve been building “table saw” projects - flat, square, rectangular- like boxes, tables, shelves, etc. Other than dimensioning the wood...
  11. C

Jack plane? Block plane?

I’ve been doing a lot of armchair/internet woodworking lately, falling into the Christopher Schwarz chair making wormhole. In a lot of his content on this topic he shows how to make round dowels for his chair components using a Jack plane and a Block plane. Alas, these hand tools are foreign to...
  12. C

Uses for Holly ?

My friend had a pretty big Holly tree taken down and asked me about the best way to have the boards milled, or is it even worth sawing. Other than white wood inlays I really don’t know what holly might be good for. The sap, wood color, cutting season issues aren’t important as its already been...
  13. C

Round Tenons - any (cheap) ideas?

I’ve been getting into the Lost Art Press Blog and the stick chairs he’s making. I really like the looks of some of those chairs and would love to try to build one or a few. I know there’s a book in the works but I’d rather try a few things before spending money. (Or maybe this is just an...
  14. C

What did you do in the shop this weekend?

A very nice three day weekend winding down. I cut some dados on boards to make work bench legs, kinda tedious and not real picture worthy. But good progress nevertheless. What did you do in the shop this weekend?
  15. C

Help please - size for small workbench

I’m looking to up my hand tool game, in particular hand cut dovetails. I have a corner in my shop by a big window that I think would be pleasant space to put a small bench with vise to work on. I don’t have room for a full blown bench and I’m thinking 12-18 inches deep and maybe 30-36 inches...
  16. C

Outside finish for Eastern Red Cedar?

My neighbor‘s been bringing home loads of sawmill cedar and I’ve been using it for stuff like this bench. Cheap, easy to work with and really enjoyable. I’m ready to put this one outside and wondering what would be a good minimal but protective finish. I know cedar is bug and rot resistant but...
  17. C

I’ve heard of this guy ...

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/tricks/ripping-thin-pieces/ Good idea, nice article.
  18. C

Disston D-20

Posted recently looking for a handsaw. A friend showed up with this today and said “here take this one”. And I did. Handle, medallion, and etch make me think 1928. You folks probably know better, feel free to correct me. Cuts pretty good too. —Claus
  19. C

Looking for a hand saw

I’ve recently started dipping into hand tool work and I’m discovering the pleasure of using a quality, finely tuned hand saw. I have a new L-N dovetail saw and the other, believe it or not is my very large old “misery whip“ disston crosscut lumber saw (one man, perforated lance tooth). So now...
  20. C

Home door fix?

My older home has had some foundation settling over time. Several doors in my house now swing and rest either open or closed, but won’t stay in place partially open. Does that make sense? Is there some kind of fix to stop the movement? I’d like to position a door partially open and not have...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS