Search results

1. Willemjm

"Floating Shelves"- method critique

The strength of that is directly proportional to the vertical width of the bracket. The wider it is, the more weight on the shelf, before the drywall is crushed. Also why screws in the center vertical width is not a good idea. Not sure how wide that is, but say it is 1.5", with a screws in the...
  2. Willemjm

Here is a video. Confession: Generally, pine is not allowed in my shop. I use a drill press with a machine vice, not a hand dril. Also, I use tiny screws below, into the dowels, so the shelves are fixed. I disagree with how he screws into the studs. We want two screws, one as close to the top...
  3. Willemjm

The ones in the picture were fine as far as being sturdy 1 3/4” thick. Trick is to screw close to top and bottom of the piece being secured to get adequate leverage. I can’t give you a number, but if you search YouTube, there is a guy sitting on his shelf. On the frame and sleeve, we have done...
  4. Willemjm

I also only have an 8" jointer. I make sure all my boards are square and true before glue-up. My clamping system then gets those perfectly flat when glued up, just light finishing with an RO. Generally, I do not use stock over 8" wide, due to possible cupping with wood movement through the...
  5. Willemjm

Nope. Just screwed to the studs on one side 2 1/2” # 8 screws.
  6. Willemjm

Many ways of doing those, we use a Maple frame, with a sleeve which slides over the frame. The frame screws into the studs behind the drywall, using 2 1/2” cabinet screws. Sometimes we do solid wood, build the slab, drill 3/4” holes into the long side of the slab, rip 2” off the long side...
  7. Willemjm

How get rid of sawdust?

Saw dust makes compost, but it takes a few years to decompose. If It it is not ready, it Rob’s the soil of nitrogen, with poor results.
  8. Willemjm

Mohawk Duracoat Pre Cat lacquer

Here is my process, materials all from the local SW store. For this small job, disposable 9oz spray cup on gun. 9oz Pre-Cat, 1 1/2 teaspoons of catalyst mixed into the spray cup and ready to go. Two coats, 30 minutes after 1st coat a light scuff sanding with a medium sanding sponge, 2nd coat...
  9. Willemjm

Just my opinion: The lacquer you purchase at the big box stores is just nitro, there is no catalyst, easy to use, but offers limited protection to moisture, stains from things like ketchup etc. The coating is cured by evaporation of the solvent carrier. Shelf life is years. Pre—Cat the...
  10. Willemjm

If it works for you great. I was just following what they have on their data sheet, plus the input from their Rep. Where the challenge is, begins with heavily pigmented coatings. The dark colors, I find difficult at times, especially getting a perfectly uniform finish on a 8 x 4 sheet of Ply...
  11. Willemjm

For raw wood there is no advantage in using a vinyl sealer. In a wet moist environment, a vinyl sealer would give you a slight water resistance advantage. Vinyl sealers have better adhesion properties, so they are used over other coats, for items being repainted. They stick well to anything.
  12. Willemjm

Pre cat cannot be built up in layers. Two coats is max after the seal coat. I find the seal coat with a very light scuff sand and a top coat more than adequate. See the SW data sheet below. Personally I sand RO only up to 150 grit, the finish fills the sanding marks with the seal coat. For...
  13. Willemjm

Bought my first Tractor

Yep, I did.
  14. Willemjm

Bought my first Tractor

LOL, this thread just jumped up again. Where I live, a man needs a wood shop, a wood fireplace to get rid of all the offcuts, a pickup truck to haul lumber, a gas powered chain saw to cut lumber, a tractor, a power washer, a motorcycle to take a break, a few long rifles, a shotgun, a few...
  15. Willemjm

How long to wait before planing?

Make sure your lumber is perfectly dimensioned, consistent throughout the pieces and true. This is the most important part. Align properly with the correct clamps or clamping method, 15 minutes curing with Titebond III, take out of clamps, clean glue joints with a card scraper and a wet cloth...
  16. Willemjm

Epoxy as glue 25 years latter

Not saying you have separation. It is hard to impossible to see separation with a clear finish though. Solid colors is a different story
  17. Willemjm

^^^ The tint bases, are only available from the Sherwin Williams industrial outlets. Those would be Sherwood Color Express Precat and the R7K320 thinner, or R6K35 retarder.
  18. Willemjm

It seems all the stores carry this. If you go CV, or color matching and use a different thinner, you have to go to one of the industrial outlets.
  19. Willemjm

Robust American Beauty Lathe for sale on Winston Salem FB MP

Not a Facebook user, so can't get to it. How much is he asking?
  20. Willemjm

(Where can I find) Kitchen doors / Drawer fronts

That is a good deal at $55.00 When we have to do that, which we try and avoid, I normally go to the link below and and use their site to get a price. That is what I charge the customer, the only difference is we are responsible for supply, install and the customer being happy. It works out to a...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS