Search results

1. D

First attempt at a fluted bowl

I did it by hand, because I don't have all of those tools you mentioned. I have 3 rasps that the demonstrator suggested to get, and those are also hand operated. They left a pretty smooth surface, considering they are rasps. I tried a 2" foam pad with hook/loop backing (the soft one), but it...
  2. D

I started with a grid (white lines), then decide what angle I want to use (orange lines). Then, it is rasp work, then sanding by hand. As my flutes were pretty narrow, and I wanted them to be smooth, I used a narrow strip of sandpaper and the tip of my finger....for 12 hours. I went from 120...
  3. D

This is walnut stump wood. Sanded to 2000 grit (BY HAND !! - and boy, do my fingers hurt!), and one layer of BLO. I wanted to see if I could do it, but won't be rushing to do it again anytime soon. Dave Peterson
  4. D

the latest craze: turning something with pencils

The CA was used to hold them together in a group, and it did not penetrate the pencils. There is also CA around it where you see the dark border, as that is walnut sawdust and CA used as filler. I just turned it at about 1000 rpm with sharp tools. The only thing keeping the lead in place is...
  5. D

the latest craze: turning something with pencils

I belong to several forums, including 3 on facebook. Several guys are trying stuff, using colored pencils. I decided not to jump in the deep end of the pool, but decided it to give it a shot on a smaller scale. The colored pencils are all 'Teacher correcting pencils' and are 6-sided with red...
  6. D

Covered box (Black Walnut root wood)

I sanded it to 3000 grit, then added walnut oil to it, and after that dried, I put on some linseed oil and wiped it off right away. no other finish. Regarding turquoise inlay: use very fine gravel, sand it down, then add powdered turquoise to fill in the gaps, then sand again. Both are...
  7. D

Covered box (Black Walnut root wood)

I started out by making a bowl from part of a root ball from a black walnut tree, but put in a lip just in case I wanted to add a lid. I decided a lid might be nice, so I added a finial. It ended up looking like a giant acorn, so I balanced it out with a pedestal base. Four different pieces...
  8. D

Ambrosia Maple Platter

If i remember correctly, the original 17X20X2" thick slab was about $30.
  9. D

Ambrosia Maple Platter

This is Ambrosia Maple and was reclaimed from a swamp in 2011 (but not by me). The blank started out as 2.25 X 17" X 20", and was cut to 15.5" diameter. In the last photo, you can see the blank, and there is about 3/8" clearance from the deck. The finished product is 14 5/8" diameter, and 1 7/8"...
  10. D

Australian Burl and Padauk candy dish

I totally understand where you are coming from....which is most likely the perspective of a woodworker/wood turner (or you would not be on this forum! LOL). When I take it for show and tell to my monthly turner's meeting, I will leave the lid at home. When I show it to my glass collecting...
  11. D

I also collect that color of glass (commonly called vaseline glass or uranium glass), and the lid fit perfectly, and it is a 'crossover' between my two passions. Thanks for asking!
  12. D

The specific Australian burl is Red Mallee.
  13. D

This is my current personal best. It was a real challenge. The top and bottom were turned separately and each component sanded before it came off the lathe. I used one of those contour tools (wires in a row, pressed against wood, shows the reverse contour on the other side of the ruler) to...
  14. D

Gnome Forest

Your mushrooms are definitely more realistic than mine. Great Job!
  15. D

Gnome Forest

My grandson, Dexter, and the new Gnome Forest. 4 total pieces, all dogwood. The base is 1/2 of a Dogwood root ball. The forest is 7 inches wide and 6 inches tall. My Son and Daughter-in-law think Dexter looks like a gnome. I have to agree, but he is the cutest gnome i have ever seen!
  16. D

Black Walnut Root Ball piece

The bottle is down in the shop....forget the name. It is a shellac/wax combination in liquid form. You wipe it on, turn on the lathe to a high speed, and then press a cotton cloth against it. The friction polishes and sets the finish and you are done in about 15 seconds. Only one coat needed.
  17. D

Black Walnut Root Ball piece

Walnut Root ball wood is not easy to come by, as no one wants to go to the trouble of digging up the stump, cleaning it, then drying it for a looooooong time. I managed to get hold of a little bit of it, and here is a toothpick holder I made from it. (p.s. it is worth the effort!). Before I...
  18. D

Best reward for my work (better than money!)

The rattle only weighs a few grams over 2 ounces, so I don't think it will go a lot of damage!
  19. D

Best reward for my work (better than money!)

Last June, I made a baby rattle. My daughter-in-law was pregnant and Dexter was born Nov. 7. He is just old enough now to grasp and focus, and I got this photo from my son this past week. The baby rattle is made from Dogwood, sanded to 2000 grit. IF I put any finish on it, it was just walnut...
  20. D

Australian Burl ice cream scoop

I remember using this finish on a gunstock in the late 1960s. I don't know when it was first made. On a gunstock, i remember hand-rubbing in 15 coats, and the stock was waterproof to all moisture. I have found on bowls, 2 coats are enough. it is a matte finish, but it soaks in. You can put...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS